Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Michel Salim

Default xulrunner and silent breakage of downstream apps

Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
"Peter Robinson"

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Michel Salim <michel.sylvan@gmail.com> wrote:

> The recent push of xulrunner-1.9 and Firefox 3 broke Miro and devhelp
> (https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/pending/devhelp-0.19.1-2.fc9)
> again.
>
> Is there a way to declare these kinds of dependencies that we are not
> using right now? Should Miro and devhelp specifically require xulrunner
> = %{version}-%{release} -- or perhaps a more administrative solution;
> block a non-security release of xulrunner for at least one day and
> automatically notify the maintainers of its dependents?

xulrunner was suppose to stop this from happening with a stable api. I
suspect that prior to v1.9 final there was no guarantee of this but
now its stable you should be able to require >= 1.9 and 1.9.0.x until
at leat 1.9.1 (Firefox 3.1) comes out. The idea of xulrunner in Fedora
being that if there's a security bug in gecko they can ship a new
version of xulrunner and all the apps that use it that are shipped in
Fedora are automatically secured.

Peter

Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Christopher Aillon

Peter Robinson wrote:

The recent push of xulrunner-1.9 and Firefox 3 broke Miro and devhelp
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/pending/devhelp-0.19.1-2.fc9)
again.

Is there a way to declare these kinds of dependencies that we are not
using right now? Should Miro and devhelp specifically require xulrunner
= %{version}-%{release} -- or perhaps a more administrative solution;
block a non-security release of xulrunner for at least one day and
automatically notify the maintainers of its dependents?

xulrunner was suppose to stop this from happening with a stable api.

XULRunner provides both a stable and unstable API. Things aren't going
to magically be fixed until the applications actually start *using* the
stable API.