Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Hedayat Vatnakhah

Default rpmlint warnings

Hi all,

I've a question about an rpmlint warning message: when I run rpmlint
against my package
(http://www.assembla.com/spaces/hedayat/documents/ctTQqMpLur3BrOab7jnrAJ/download/rcssserver3d-devel-0.6-0.1.20080620cvs.fc9.i386.rpm)

(Or you may try this link:
http://www.assembla.com/file/hedayat/1_rcssserver3d-devel-0.6-0.1.20080620cvs.fc9.i386.rpm)

It'll print a set of dangling-relative-symlink errors like this:

rcssserver3d-devel.i386: W: dangling-relative-symlink
/usr/lib/rcssserver3d/librcssnet3D.so librcssnet3D.so.0.0.0

I don't know what are these warnings for, since the symlinks are correct
(their target file is available in the main package). It's a -devel
package and so it contains only the .so symlinks. I'd like to know what
are these warnings for; and how can I prevent them.

Thanks a lot,

Hedayat

Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 AM
Stephen Warren

On Thu, June 19, 2008 5:46 pm, Hedayat Vatnakhah wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've a question about an rpmlint warning message: when I run rpmlint
> against my package
> It'll print a set of dangling-relative-symlink errors like this:
>
> rcssserver3d-devel.i386: W: dangling-relative-symlink
> /usr/lib/rcssserver3d/librcssnet3D.so librcssnet3D.so.0.0.0

Does the -devel package require the main package, and by exact version
number?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Hedayat Vatnakhah

Hi,

Yes it does.

Stephen
Warren <s-t-rhbugzilla@wwwdotorg.org>
wrote on 06/20/2008
04:37:17 AM:

Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 09:41:40PM +0430, Hedayat Vatnakhah wrote:
> Hi,
> Yes it does.

You can ignore the warning then. If you run rpmlint against the
installed rpm it shouldn't complain.

--
Pat

Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Ville Skyttä

On Saturday 21 June 2008, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 09:41:40PM +0430, Hedayat Vatnakhah wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Yes it does.
>
> You can ignore the warning then. If you run rpmlint against the
> installed rpm it shouldn't complain.

Yep, this is a rpmlint bug. It has code in place to skip all dangling symlink
checks for *.so (no matter what the package dependencies are), but that code
currently matches only *.so placed directly in */lib and */lib64 dirs.

Improved upstream: http://rpmlint.zarb.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/changeset/1434

Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Hedayat Vatnakhah

Thank you all. So, my package is fine and I should fill a bug
report for rpmlint.

Good luck,

Hedayat

�

Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Ville Skyttä

On Sunday 22 June 2008, Hedayat Vatnakhah wrote:
> Thank you all. So, my package is fine and I should fill a bug report
> for rpmlint.

No need to do that because as I said, it's already fixed upstream and will be
in the next release: