-   -   Debugging audio problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/109880-debugging-audio-problems.html)

"Jerry James" 06-19-2008 05:32 PM

Debugging audio problems

Is there a guide somewhere to debugging audio problems? My son is mad
at me, because I upgraded my home machine from F8 to F9, and now the
sound is messed up on his favorite browser-based game
(http://www.runescape.com/). F8 plays the background music and sound
effects together. On F9, whenever a sound effect occurs, the
background music stops, and the sound effects sometimes happen several
seconds after they should have. It's like the two audio streams are
fighting each other for control of the sound card, where they used to
play together. I don't even know where to begin figuring out what is
going wrong. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/

Bastien Nocera 06-19-2008 10:31 PM

Debugging audio problems

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 11:32 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> Is there a guide somewhere to debugging audio problems? My son is mad
> at me, because I upgraded my home machine from F8 to F9, and now the
> sound is messed up on his favorite browser-based game
> (http://www.runescape.com/). F8 plays the background music and sound
> effects together. On F9, whenever a sound effect occurs, the
> background music stops, and the sound effects sometimes happen several
> seconds after they should have. It's like the two audio streams are
> fighting each other for control of the sound card, where they used to
> play together. I don't even know where to begin figuring out what is
> going wrong. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks,

Is libflashsupport installed? Is pulseaudio running and working?

"Jerry James" 06-20-2008 03:52 AM

Debugging audio problems

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@redhat.com> wrote:
> Is libflashsupport installed? Is pulseaudio running and working?

Yes, libflashsupport is installed. However, I have not installed
Adobe's rpm. I'm using swfdec-mozilla. Pulseaudio is running and
working, as evidenced by the fact that I can play music with audacious
both before and after he plays his game, and I see a pulseaudio
process in the ps output.