Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Default dbus problems

Hi,

I seem to be having some rather large problems with my x86 laptop. It looks
like there is a problem with dbus somewhere.

What happened was this. Last week, I ran file-roller as sudo to copy
something into /usr/local. For some reason, most of the applets vanished and
it looked like a gconf error. Everything hung. I restarted X, but all I got
was the mouse pointer and the animated circle things.

I restarted the machine and lots of things went wrong. avahi, mysql, httpd
and haldaemon all fail to start. If I try to login, all I get is a message
that there is no /home directory for a particular user.

I can log in as root.

If I try gconftool2 --spawn, everything seems fine.
If I try to start haldaemon with /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart, it fails
If I try to start mysqld with /etc/init.d/mysqld restart, I get a timed out
error

If I try to run lshal, all I get it

error: dbus_bus_get: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect
to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

Any suggestions on what to look for or alter? I'm running rawhide and
updated today.

TTFN

Paul

--