-   -   Heads Up! Wavpack soname bump (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/109005-heads-up-wavpack-soname-bump.html)

Patrice Dumas 06-18-2008 01:34 PM

Heads Up! Wavpack soname bump

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 03:22:56PM +0200, KH KH wrote:
> You can see if upstream has bumped the soname by running this
>
> # readelf -a /usr/lib64/libwavpack.so.1.0.1 |grep SONAME
> 0x000000000000000e (SONAME) Library soname: [libwavpack.so.1]
> Where the soname is libwavpack.so.1
>
> On the other hand you can check if ABI has actually changed with
> rpmsodiff wavpack-4.41-1.fc10 wavpack-4.50-1.fc10
>
> The case where ABI breaks is when symbol are removed that might be
> used by any dependent application.
> (As I expect). When symbols are only added, this would mean that ABI
> is preserved and the dependent application can optionally be rebuilt
> to use theses new symbols (if they are somehow used within the
> dependant application).

I know about 2 sources of information, for C there is the libtool
manual regarding library versionning,
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Versioning.html#Versioning
it isn't explicit, but can be retrieved from the guideline in
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info
soname should change when symbols are removed.

For C++ things seems to be more complicated, I know about this:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++

--
Pat

"Peter Lemenkov" 06-18-2008 01:41 PM

2008/6/18 Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com>:

> The soname stays at "libwavpack.so.1", so technically it's not a
> soname bump ;).

I thought so, but I decided to be more careful :)

> Should be safe to upgrade.

Good!

--
With best regards!