Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Neal Becker

Default Changing noarch package to arch

Cython was a noarch python package, but cython-0.9.8 will be arch-specific.

Is there something special that needs to be done to handle this?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Nigel Jones

Neal Becker wrote:

Cython was a noarch python package, but cython-0.9.8 will be arch-specific.

Is there something special that needs to be done to handle this?

I don't think there is, just (preferably) make sure that it builds on
the big four (i386, x86_64, ppc, ppc64), I don't like the idea of
removing functionality for arches all of a sudden.

Other than that, just follow the python packaging guidelines and you'll
be home free.

- Nigel

Old 06-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Neal Becker

Nigel Jones wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> Cython was a noarch python package, but cython-0.9.8 will be
>> arch-specific.
>>
>> Is there something special that needs to be done to handle this?
>>

> I don't think there is, just (preferably) make sure that it builds on
> the big four (i386, x86_64, ppc, ppc64), I don't like the idea of
> removing functionality for arches all of a sudden.
>
> Other than that, just follow the python packaging guidelines and you'll
> be home free.
>
> - Nigel

Updating did not remove /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Cython. It left a
trail of empty subdirectories.

I suspect this will cause problems, because python does not handle well
having both sitearch and site-nonarch. I'm thinking that yum or rpm has to
be updated to handle this correctly.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:31 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Updating did not remove /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Cython. It left a
> trail of empty subdirectories.

Uhm

rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Cython

If this wasn't cleaned up correctly, that suggests a problem with
Cython packaging not taking ownership of directories correctly. If
the package(s) were constructed correctly they should clean up the
directories i think.

-jef

Old 06-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

Updating did not remove /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Cython. It left a
trail of empty subdirectories.

Uhm

rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Cython

If this wasn't cleaned up correctly, that suggests a problem with
Cython packaging not taking ownership of directories correctly. If
the package(s) were constructed correctly they should clean up the
directories i think.

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Cython
Cython-0.9.6.13.1-3.fc9.noarch

Here's another question. Are there no files at all in the Cython
directory structure? Perhaps something created an untracked file in
there and that's why the directories weren't cleaned up. (If not,
there's indeed a bug in somewhere.) (Although it didn't exist ~6 months
ago when I had a package go from noarch => arch specific.)

-Toshio