Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
"Bruce Keats"

Default Increasing the size of the available entropy pool for /dev/random in Fedora?

Hi,
*
I am trying to increase the size of the available pool of entropy so that applications that use /dev/random won't block when trying to get 1K random bytes from /dev/random.* In the 2.6.23.17 kernel, it appears that the sysctl (proc) interface no longer allows changes to*the poolsize (/proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize).* I had a quick look at the random driver (kernel/drivers/char/random.c) and it looked to me that INPUT_POOL_WORDS was the variable.

*
I went ahead and made the change and recompiled the kernel, but I still don't see the available entropy larger than 4K bits (512 bytes).* When I check poolsize, it is now reported as 16384, but entropy_avail never seems to get larger than 4096.* Even if I leave the system running overnight, the available entropy pool never seems to get larger than 4096.* I have been looking at the code and the driver seems fairly convoluted, so I hope someone might save me some digging.

*
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to increase the available entropy pool size?
*
Bruce