Old 06-13-2008, 03:26 AM
"Henrique Junior"

Default Changing XDrawChem to Bkchem

Friends,

I've using Fedora as my main distro for a while now (FC 3) and here in Brazil, where I study Chemical Engineering, I started to use the excellent XDrawChem software, for drawing chemical structures and diagrams of reactions. I discovered, however, that the development of the program is freezed since November of 2005 [1] and the activities in the discutions lists had ceased a long time ago.

The future of this software seems uncertain and, until this point, poor promising, since improvements are not being made and it's outdated in comparison of what expect from a system that cares about constant evolution.

After some research and tests, I found the BkChem [2], that it is similar in functions, but it's uninterruptedly being developed and that, in fact, it had shown better results compared to the XdrawChem could obtain at the moment. The structures are more clear, the methods of drawing more refined and the plugins and tools already are compared with the ones that the XDrawChem had. The BkChem is distribuited under GPL and seems to be a good (and promising) substitute to the deceased XdrawChem.

[1] - *http://xdrawchem.sourceforge.net/
[2] - http://bkchem.zirael.org/

Cordially
--
Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

Old 06-13-2008, 04:30 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 00:26 -0300, Henrique Junior wrote:
> Friends,
>
> I've using Fedora as my main distro for a while now (FC 3) and here in
> Brazil, where I study Chemical Engineering, I started to use the
> excellent XDrawChem software, for drawing chemical structures and
> diagrams of reactions. I discovered, however, that the development of
> the program is freezed since November of 2005 [1] and the activities
> in the discutions lists had ceased a long time ago.
> The future of this software seems uncertain and, until this point,
> poor promising, since improvements are not being made and it's
> outdated in comparison of what expect from a system that cares about
> constant evolution.
> After some research and tests, I found the BkChem [2], that it is
> similar in functions, but it's uninterruptedly being developed and
> that, in fact, it had shown better results compared to the XdrawChem
> could obtain at the moment. The structures are more clear, the methods
> of drawing more refined and the plugins and tools already are compared
> with the ones that the XDrawChem had. The BkChem is distribuited under
> GPL and seems to be a good (and promising) substitute to the deceased
> XdrawChem.
>
> [1] - http://xdrawchem.sourceforge.net/
> [2] - http://bkchem.zirael.org/

Thanks for showing an interest!

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Old 06-13-2008, 04:57 AM
"Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior"

Hi, Ignacio
I'm not shure to have the necessary skills to do that... =(

Em Sex, 2008-06-13 *s 00:30 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams escreveu:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 00:26 -0300, Henrique Junior wrote:
> > Friends,
> >
> > I've using Fedora as my main distro for a while now (FC 3) and here in
> > Brazil, where I study Chemical Engineering, I started to use the
> > excellent XDrawChem software, for drawing chemical structures and
> > diagrams of reactions. I discovered, however, that the development of
> > the program is freezed since November of 2005 [1] and the activities
> > in the discutions lists had ceased a long time ago.
> > The future of this software seems uncertain and, until this point,
> > poor promising, since improvements are not being made and it's
> > outdated in comparison of what expect from a system that cares about
> > constant evolution.
> > After some research and tests, I found the BkChem [2], that it is
> > similar in functions, but it's uninterruptedly being developed and
> > that, in fact, it had shown better results compared to the XdrawChem
> > could obtain at the moment. The structures are more clear, the methods
> > of drawing more refined and the plugins and tools already are compared
> > with the ones that the XDrawChem had. The BkChem is distribuited under
> > GPL and seems to be a good (and promising) substitute to the deceased
> > XdrawChem.
> >
> > [1] - http://xdrawchem.sourceforge.net/
> > [2] - http://bkchem.zirael.org/
>
> Thanks for showing an interest!
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior <henriquecsj@gmail.com>
Projeto Fedora Brasil

Old 06-13-2008, 08:21 AM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"

On Friday, 13 June 2008 at 06:57, Henrique LonelySpooky Junior wrote:
> Em Sex, 2008-06-13 s 00:30 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams escreveu:
> > On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 00:26 -0300, Henrique Junior wrote:
> > > Friends,
> > >
> > > I've using Fedora as my main distro for a while now (FC 3) and here in
> > > Brazil, where I study Chemical Engineering, I started to use the
> > > excellent XDrawChem software, for drawing chemical structures and
> > > diagrams of reactions. I discovered, however, that the development of
> > > the program is freezed since November of 2005 [1] and the activities
> > > in the discutions lists had ceased a long time ago.
> > > The future of this software seems uncertain and, until this point,
> > > poor promising, since improvements are not being made and it's
> > > outdated in comparison of what expect from a system that cares about
> > > constant evolution.
> > > After some research and tests, I found the BkChem [2], that it is
> > > similar in functions, but it's uninterruptedly being developed and
> > > that, in fact, it had shown better results compared to the XdrawChem
> > > could obtain at the moment. The structures are more clear, the methods
> > > of drawing more refined and the plugins and tools already are compared
> > > with the ones that the XDrawChem had. The BkChem is distribuited under
> > > GPL and seems to be a good (and promising) substitute to the deceased
> > > XdrawChem.
> > >
> > > [1] - http://xdrawchem.sourceforge.net/
> > > [2] - http://bkchem.zirael.org/
> >
> > Thanks for showing an interest!
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
>
> Hi, Ignacio
> I'm not shure to have the necessary skills to do that... =(

If you're willing to learn, I'm sure there are some seasoned Fedora
contributors that will help you (myself included). Why don't you try
creating a package of BkChem and submitting it for review?

Regards,
R.

PS. Please do not top-reply. I've fixed the reply order for this mail.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Hans de Goede

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

[...]

Yip,

If you're willing to learn and invest some time into this I'm more then happy
to show you the ropes.

Regards,

Hans

Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM
"Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior"

I'll try my best.

Thank you all.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

2008/6/13 Henrique LonelySpooky Junior <henriquecsj@gmail.com>:
> I'll try my best.
>
> Thank you all.

A starting point may be to look at the mandriva spec:

http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/contrib-SPECS/bkchem/bkchem.spec?revision=1.31&view=markup

and the PLD spec

http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/SPECS/bkchem.spec?rev=1.36;content-type=text%2Fplain

and tailoring them to meet fedora requirements.

J.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"