Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Richard Hughes

Default PackageKit UI

Quite a few people are complaining about the user interface of the
Add/Remove program in Fedora 9. This is correct, as I agree the UI
interaction was pretty awful in the 0.1.x codebase.

This was always going to be a stop-gap solution while we worked on the
0.2.x branch that supported all the sexy things that people wanted like
proxy server support, multiple install (and remove) and proper key
signing support.

This is the current UI of gpk-application in git master (and rawhide
from today): http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application.png

It fixes most of the problems with PackageKit 0.1.x (other than the
slowness [1]) and I'm hoping to get a build in F9 updates-testing
sometime soon. The update viewer and the other tools have also seen some
love too.

Comments/suggestions welcome,

Richard Hughes

[1] we're still working on a new (much faster) yum backend

Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Richard Hughes wrote:

Quite a few people are complaining about the user interface of the
Add/Remove program in Fedora 9. This is correct, as I agree the UI
interaction was pretty awful in the 0.1.x codebase.

This was always going to be a stop-gap solution while we worked on the
0.2.x branch that supported all the sexy things that people wanted like
proxy server support, multiple install (and remove) and proper key
signing support.

This is the current UI of gpk-application in git master (and rawhide
from today): http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application.png

It fixes most of the problems with PackageKit 0.1.x (other than the
slowness [1]) and I'm hoping to get a build in F9 updates-testing
sometime soon. The update viewer and the other tools have also seen some
love too.

Comments/suggestions welcome,

* Why are you not using the application icons in the left side instead
of the right corner completely disconnected from the app itself?

* What about group installation and removals?

Rahul

Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:09:10PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> This is the current UI of gpk-application in git master (and rawhide
> from today): http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application.png
>
> It fixes most of the problems with PackageKit 0.1.x (other than the
> slowness [1]) and I'm hoping to get a build in F9 updates-testing
> sometime soon. The update viewer and the other tools have also seen some
> love too.
>
> Comments/suggestions welcome,

In the bottom right corner where you display the license tag, make each
named license into a hyperlink to the actual online text. Since we have
a pretty well defined list of allowed licenses in Fedora, we ought to be
able to identify the online URL for each. The main hard thing would likely
be the BSD licenses for which there are sooo many subtle differences in
the exact wording people use, even though they're all basically the same.

> [1] ???we're still working on a new (much faster) yum backend

Would that be the 'yum2' backend ? Or are you working on a 'yum3' backend...

Daniel.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Tim Lauridsen

Richard Hughes wrote:

Quite a few people are complaining about the user interface of the
Add/Remove program in Fedora 9. This is correct, as I agree the UI
interaction was pretty awful in the 0.1.x codebase.

This was always going to be a stop-gap solution while we worked on the
0.2.x branch that supported all the sexy things that people wanted like
proxy server support, multiple install (and remove) and proper key
signing support.

This is the current UI of gpk-application in git master (and rawhide
from today): http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application.png

It fixes most of the problems with PackageKit 0.1.x (other than the
slowness [1]) and I'm hoping to get a build in F9 updates-testing
sometime soon. The update viewer and the other tools have also seen some
love too.

Comments/suggestions welcome,

Look better, but maybe to wide for lower resolution like 800x600.

A little 'Left Margin' in the description textview, will make the text
more readable.

The 'icon" in the right corner looks a little misplaced. use it in
package view instead.

When using different searches and selecting multiple packages, the
should be an easy way to see what packages there is currently selected
(in queue), maybe adding a 'Selected Packages" under 'All packages'
should do it.

Tim

Tim

Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Richard Hughes

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 12:17 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:09:10PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > This is the current UI of gpk-application in git master (and rawhide
> > from today): http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application.png
> >
> > It fixes most of the problems with PackageKit 0.1.x (other than the
> > slowness [1]) and I'm hoping to get a build in F9 updates-testing
> > sometime soon. The update viewer and the other tools have also seen some
> > love too.
> >
> > Comments/suggestions welcome,
>
> In the bottom right corner where you display the license tag, make each
> named license into a hyperlink to the actual online text. Since we have
> a pretty well defined list of allowed licenses in Fedora, we ought to be
> able to identify the online URL for each. The main hard thing would likely
> be the BSD licenses for which there are sooo many subtle differences in
> the exact wording people use, even though they're all basically the same.

Yes, and PackageKit supports licence texts that can be quite
complicated, or where packages have two alternate licences. A link isn't
so easy.

> > [1] ???we're still working on a new (much faster) yum backend
>
> Would that be the 'yum2' backend ? Or are you working on a 'yum3' backend...

yum2 - it's not quite ready for primetime but you can experiment by
editing the PackageKit.conf configuration file. If it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces :-)

Richard.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Richard Hughes

> * Why are you not using the application icons in the left side
> instead
> of the right corner completely disconnected from the app itself?

The icons in the list change as you select them, for instance a trash
icon is overlaid when it's to be deleted. There's also a non-trivial
cost of looking up each themed icon which can slow the GUI down a lot.

> * What about group installation and removals?

Still in the planning state, I've yet to find a good UI for any of this.
Yell if you can think of a good one.

Richard.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Richard Hughes wrote:

* Why are you not using the application icons in the left side
instead
of the right corner completely disconnected from the app itself?

The icons in the list change as you select them, for instance a trash
icon is overlaid when it's to be deleted. There's also a non-trivial
cost of looking up each themed icon which can slow the GUI down a lot.

Can that be done async?

* What about group installation and removals?

Still in the planning state, I've yet to find a good UI for any of this.
Yell if you can think of a good one.

Pirut did it in the context menu and providing a button when you click
on a group. You might want to check that out.

Rahul

Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Richard Hughes

> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 16:45 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> * Why are you not using the application icons in the left side
> >> instead
> >> of the right corner completely disconnected from the app itself?
> >
> > The icons in the list change as you select them, for instance a trash
> > icon is overlaid when it's to be deleted. There's also a non-trivial
> > cost of looking up each themed icon which can slow the GUI down a lot.
>
> Can that be done async?

Ohh, I guess so, yes.

> >> * What about group installation and removals?
> >
> > Still in the planning state, I've yet to find a good UI for any of this.
> > Yell if you can think of a good one.
>
> Pirut did it in the context menu and providing a button when you click
> on a group. You might want to check that out.

Yes, I've checked it out and it didn't seem very obvious to me - it also
ties PackageKit into the native comps mapping which it already maps to
more abstract groups.

Richard.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Olivier Galibert

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:09:10PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Comments/suggestions welcome,

What are your use cases? Do you have any?

How do you handle the use case "I need something to type a letter,
what can I install for that, what are my choices?".

How do you handle the use case "I want my desktop to look cooler, what
can I add?".

How do you handle the use case "I need some free space, what can I
remove?".

What information does the opened/closed box icon give, apart from "we
have good graphists"?

Why do you present multiple versions of the same thing (compiz-gnome
in your screenshot), especially as is they were different?

Why is the ordering done on the less visible, bottom text?

And a detail, Hompage -> Homepage.

OG.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Richard Hughes

Lots, see www.packagekit.org.

> How do you handle the use case "I need something to type a letter,
> what can I install for that, what are my choices?".
> How do you handle the use case "I want my desktop to look cooler, what
> can I add?".
> How do you handle the use case "I need some free space, what can I
> remove?".

We are prototyping something web-based for this sort of thing. We'll be
announcing stuff soon (if it works), I promise.

> What information does the opened/closed box icon give, apart from "we
> have good graphists"?

Open = installed, closed = not installed. The icons also change if you
select them to be added or removed.

> Why do you present multiple versions of the same thing (compiz-gnome
> in your screenshot), especially as is they were different?

Ahh, it shows there is an update available. Maybe we need to expose this
clearer.

> Why is the ordering done on the less visible, bottom text?
>
> And a detail, Hompage -> Homepage.

Ohh, yes, thanks.

Richard.