Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 AM
"Zhang, Yanmin"

Default Kernel directory change

Yi,

I installed FC9 Beta ia64 on my Montvale machine and found the kernel
directory is changed. The old directory is /boot/efi/efi/redhat, but the
new one is /boot/efi/EFI/redhat. Is there any special reason to do so?

A couple of test suites assumes /boot/efi/efi/redhat.

-yanmin

Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
"Zhan, Yi"

Yes the file system changing might be the point. There is a "%define image_install_path boot/efi/EFI/redhat" for ia64 in kernel.spec since fc4.
So the kernel dir was always /boot/efi/EFI/redhat.

Yi

Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 AM
"Zhang, Yanmin"

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 09:03 -0400, Doug Chapman wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 08:58 +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> > Yi,
> >
> > I installed FC9 Beta ia64 on my Montvale machine and found the kernel
> > directory is changed. The old directory is /boot/efi/efi/redhat, but the
> > new one is /boot/efi/EFI/redhat. Is there any special reason to do so?
> >
> > A couple of test suites assumes /boot/efi/efi/redhat.
> >
> > -yanmin
> >

> This changed a while back. What it appears happened was that the vfat
> filesystem for some reason now understands upper/lower case. In
> actuality it was always /boot/efi/EFI but the linux implementation of
> vfat shifted the directory name to lower case.
>
> Note that under the EFI shell it was always an upper case EFI as that is
> what is actually on the filesystem. I would suggest modifying your test
> to handle either case.
That's not a good idea. Although it's caused by vfat improvements, I would
suggest to keep the old interface.

Long long ago, there was a long discussion about interface change on LKML. It's
a bad idea to change interfaces or API when they become de facto.