Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Nicolas Mailhot

Default Wiki URL Structure (Proposed Change #2): flatten page hierarchies

I'd like to propose another wiki URL structure change.

In the past years, with the previous wiki, there was a drive to build deeply nested page hierarchies. For example Foo SIG was hosted in SIGs/Foo, and its contents put yet another level deeper ie SIGs/Foo/Subject

I've noticed while trying to clean up my auto-converted SIG pages that mediawiki **really** wants to use a flat page hierarchy, with categories used to group sets of pages (not surprising given its wikipedia roots; an encyclopedy hierarchy is flat).

So I'd like the authorization for interested groups to stop trying to use the tools the way they were not intended, kill the nested deep hierarchy mess and move pages to the wiki root.

For example:

- SIGs
+ Category:SIGs
+ SIGs -> Category:SIGs (redirection)
+ Special_Interest_Groups -> Category:SIGs (redirection)
- SIGs/Foo
+ Category:Foo SIG (in Category:SIGs)
+ SIGs/Foo -> Category:Foo SIG (redirection)
+ Foo_special_interest_group -> Category:Foo SIG (redirection)
- SIGs/Foo/Subject1
+ Subject1 (in Category:Foo SIG)
+ SIGs/Foo/Subject1 -> Subject1 (redirection)
- SIGs/Foo/Subject2
+ Subject2 (in Category:Foo SIG)
+ SIGs/Foo/Subject2 -> Subject2 (redirection)
- SIGs/Bar
+ Category:Bar SIG (in Category:SIGs)
+ SIGs/Bar -> Category:Bar SIG (redirection)
+ Bar_special_interest_group -> Category:Bar SIG (redirection)
- SIGs/Bar/Subject3
+ Subject3 (in Category:Bar SIG)
+ SIGs/Bar/Subject3 -> Subject3 (redirection)

I've already done some work in this direction for the Fonts SIG:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fonts
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Font_wishlist

As you can see, replacing file hierarchies by categories work pretty well, except all the indexes are user-hostile for items not moved to the wiki root (which I have not done yet). So I'd like to do the last step and flatten completely my SIG page hierarchy.

Nicolas Mailhot

Créez votre adresse électronique prénom.nom@laposte.net
1 Go d'espace de stockage, anti-spam et anti-virus intégrés.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Mar 10 juin 2008 18:06, Karsten 'quaid' Wade a écrit :

> Before the move and since, we've been discussing this issue amongst
> the
> wiki gardening crew. We'd like to see new pages adhere to a new
> structure, and to have groups begin moving existing pages to a new
> structure.
>
> We're working on the details of the structure at [[Help:Wiki
> Structure]]:

One problem is the conversion left the wiki in a sorry state, so wiki
authors need to fix their pages now. I at least can not wait for the
[[Help:Wiki Structure]]: page to be finished, the fonts SIG wiki was
not operationnal anymore, and I've not finished repairing it.

So, since I'm doing changes now anyway, could you please review the
current fonts SIG state, and suggest eventual modifications before I'm
done? Because I firmly intend to spend time away from wiki gardening
once I've returned my wiki perimeter to a correct state.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM
"Nicolas Mailhot"

Le Mer 11 juin 2008 16:42, Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
>> So I'd like the authorization for interested groups to stop trying
>> to use the
>> tools the way they were not intended, kill the nested deep hierarchy
>> mess and
>> move pages to the wiki root.
>
> Sorry, but I really really don't like this idea. :-(
>
> I like how everything relevant to the KDE SIG is under SIGs/KDE,

Fine for you I didn't ask for the permission to move your pages, I
asked the permission for interested groups to move theirs. If the old
way works better for you, stick to the old way, just let me use the
new one.

My interest in the new way is purely pragmatic, spending several days
fixing up old-way pages (with a rawhide browser) was an eye opener. I
want as much stuff as possible automated to avoid going through this
mess again in the future. Automating in mediawiki means categories,
thus I'll use categories.

--
Nicolas Mailhot