Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default "Fedora Project summary and awards" - end of RedHat support?

Hi,
I read a really disturbing message on local news group. One person has
posted a question why is RedHat stopping support for Fedora Project.
He clamis that he read that on RedHat press [1] page. That page is 404
now, but he swears that it was up. The summary was that RedHat is
stopping support for Fedora Project after Fedora 10 and that it is
giving awards for best contributers. I know that there is no page
there now, but still I had to ask if anybody knows anything. Is this
just FUD?

Cheers,
Valent.

[1] http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/06/06/fedora-project-summary-and-awards
--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 AM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:52:21AM +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I read a really disturbing message on local news group. One person has
> posted a question why is RedHat stopping support for Fedora Project.
> He clamis that he read that on RedHat press [1] page. That page is 404
> now, but he swears that it was up. The summary was that RedHat is
> stopping support for Fedora Project after Fedora 10 and that it is
> giving awards for best contributers. I know that there is no page
> there now, but still I had to ask if anybody knows anything. Is this
> just FUD?

That is complete & utter garbage & FUD.

Regards,
Daniel.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 AM
"Pavel Shevchuk"

There was some talk about RH shifting priorities to do best at what
they are best already - servers, but abandoning fedora - definitely
not. Fedora is what they make RHEL from and they need open system to
test-drive technologies

http://scwlab.com

Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:52:21AM +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I read a really disturbing message on local news group. One person has
>> posted a question why is RedHat stopping support for Fedora Project.
>> He clamis that he read that on RedHat press [1] page. That page is 404
>> now, but he swears that it was up. The summary was that RedHat is
>> stopping support for Fedora Project after Fedora 10 and that it is
>> giving awards for best contributers. I know that there is no page
>> there now, but still I had to ask if anybody knows anything. Is this
>> just FUD?
>
> That is complete & utter garbage & FUD.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel.

This is really nice to hear!

Cheers,
Valent.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:40 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Pavel Shevchuk <stlwrt@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was some talk about RH shifting priorities to do best at what
> they are best already - servers, but abandoning fedora - definitely
> not. Fedora is what they make RHEL from and they need open system to
> test-drive technologies

I humbly ask you to refrain from rumor mongering of any sort. 'Some
talk' with regard to RH shifting priorities isn't a particular useful
thing to say without a citable reference that I can follow up on with
the Red Hat employee who made the statement. It's no more useful than
the comments that started this thread.

Let me put this to rest. As a Fedora Board member I have absolutely no
information nor even a glimmer of feeling as to Red Hat taking any
steps away from this community whatsoever.

And all I do as a Board member is walk the back alleys and wander in
out out of smoke-filled rooms doing under the table deals with shadowy
figures using codenames like 'mongoose' and 'iceman' while exchanging
packets of insider information in unsuspecting manila envelopes. I
live and breath rumor and unspoken truths. And if Red Hat was about
to take a step away from this community, it would take me completely
by surprise.

>From all accounts from LinuxTAG its clear that in the future its in
everyone's best interest to expand Red Hat's involvement with Fedora
globally. Frankly I think its only a matter of time before Red Hat
has a Fedora community employee like Max on every continent, including
Antarctica.

If anything 'we'.. the community members and the Red Hat employees
engaged in board level discussions are doing what we can to identify a
long term strategy to grow the available resources. The Community
Architecture team, which is our primary means through which Red Hat
support is generated has a transparent budgeting process in our wiki,
and is continually engaged in resource planning with members of the
Fedora community. If Red Hat wasn't serious about Fedora, we wouldn't
be in a position to even talk about budgets and long term growth. We
are in this for the long haul, and I'm confident that as long as we
continue to show the value in the community contribution model, Red
Hat will make strategic investments to enable Fedora's growth.

I take the issue of long term project sustainability quite seriously.
To be quite honest, I am extremely disappointed that Valent decided
that this was worth bringing to the attention of a general mailing
list without a credible reference to refer to. I certainly wouldn't
have made such a sensational posting such as this without making some
discreet inquiries as to the validity of what I had heard. There
isn't much in the original post to comment on, and the central
argument of the original post runs counter to everything thing I know,
and every personal interaction I've had in the last six months.

-jef

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Andrew Haley

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I read a really disturbing message on local news group. One person has
> posted a question why is RedHat stopping support for Fedora Project.
> He clamis that he read that on RedHat press [1] page.

Which local news group? When did he see it?

Andrew.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> be in a position to even talk about budgets and long term growth. We
> are in this for the long haul, and I'm confident that as long as we
> continue to show the value in the community contribution model, Red
> Hat will make strategic investments to enable Fedora's growth.
>
> I take the issue of long term project sustainability quite seriously.
> To be quite honest, I am extremely disappointed that Valent decided
> that this was worth bringing to the attention of a general mailing
> list without a credible reference to refer to. I certainly wouldn't
> have made such a sensational posting such as this without making some
> discreet inquiries as to the validity of what I had heard. There
> isn't much in the original post to comment on, and the central
> argument of the original post runs counter to everything thing I know,
> and every personal interaction I've had in the last six months.

I know that the rumor was 99% FUD but the rummors on the local news
groups just wouldn't die off and they continued continuously sinte it
was posted 3 days ago so I believed that my only option is to go
directly to the source and then point people to that "official"
resonse in the future. I know that people don't like geting private
mails and that they usually like things to be open and in open
discusion and because of all those reasons I postet my question here.
Not becuase I believed it but because others believed it and starder
doubting Fedora as a project. There already were few people who said
that they thought to join Fedora Project in Croatia but becaus of that
news post they changed their mind.

Please tell me what would be better way to deal this issue?

Cheers,
Valent.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I read a really disturbing message on local news group. One person has
>> posted a question why is RedHat stopping support for Fedora Project.
>> He clamis that he read that on RedHat press [1] page.
>
> Which local news group? When did he see it?
>
> Andrew.
>

>> [1] http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/06/06/fedora-project-summary-and-awards

http://groups.google.com/group/hr.comp.os.linux/browse_thread/thread/0d48919016555421/92b06ba88fe7d314#92b06ba88fe7d314

it is Croatian linux news group.

Cheers,
Valent.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I read a really disturbing message on local news group. One person has
>>> posted a question why is RedHat stopping support for Fedora Project.
>>> He clamis that he read that on RedHat press [1] page.
>>
>> Which local news group? When did he see it?
>>
>> Andrew.
>>

>>> [1] http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/06/06/fedora-project-summary-and-awards
>>
>> --
>>

> http://groups.google.com/group/hr.comp.os.linux/browse_thread/thread/0d48919016555421/92b06ba88fe7d314#92b06ba88fe7d314
>
> it is Croatian linux news group.
>
> Cheers,
> Valent.
>
> --
> http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
> linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
> registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
> ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

This is the start of the thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/hr.comp.os.linux/browse_thread/thread/d48919016555421/9ce85fc4131b3d88