Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Alexandre Oliva

Default Fedora Freedom and Linux-libre (was: Plan for tomorrows (20080522) FESCO meeting)

On May 27, 2008, Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> You are largely ignoring the infrastructure around installation and
> upgrades of multiple kernels.

I realize there may be work in anaconda that's not as simple as the
approach recently taken by BLAG (a kernel package that's empty, and
only Requires: kernel-libre), but do you have anything else in mind?

Maybe configuring yum to retain a sufficient number of kernel-libre
packages installed and avoid removing the running version from under
itself?

grepping for PAE, debug, xen et al should make these quite easy to
locate this and any others, and extend them to kernel-libre.

Once it's done, I guess it's even more negligible than the effort I
currently put into Linux-libre. No biggie.

> If the goal is allowing users to
> install and use a system without any of the non-free firmware
> (assuming that's even plausible for our hypothetical user),

http://www.blog.tdobson.net/node/172 may be quite enlightening for the
FUD-slingers who oppose this kind of move.

FSFLA Board Member °Sť Libre! => http://www.fsfla.org/