FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Patrice Dumas
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

Hello,

I propose to add the following to the Non-responsive Maintainer Policy
(at the beginning):


If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it should
attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and ask him to
take care of changing his information in the packagedb. If there is no
known way of contacting the former maintainer, or he is not willing to
make the required change in the packagedb, one should directly jump to
the mail of the formal request to orphan all the packager packages to
fedora-devel-list.


--
Pat

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
"Debarshi Ray"
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

> If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it should
> attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and ask him to
> take care of changing his information in the packagedb. If there is no
> known way of contacting the former maintainer, or he is not willing to
> make the required change in the packagedb, one should directly jump to
> the mail of the formal request to orphan all the packager packages to
> fedora-devel-list.

+1

Regards,
Debarshi

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

Patrice Dumas (pertusus@free.fr) said:
> If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it should
> attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and ask him to
> take care of changing his information in the packagedb. If there is no
> known way of contacting the former maintainer, or he is not willing to
> make the required change in the packagedb, one should directly jump to
> the mail of the formal request to orphan all the packager packages to
> fedora-devel-list.

As long as it's distinguishing between invalid no-longer existing
e-mail addresses vs. temporarily bouncing ones, it sounds reasonable.

Bill

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Steve Conklin
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

Patrice Dumas wrote:

Hello,

I propose to add the following to the Non-responsive Maintainer Policy
(at the beginning):


If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it should
attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and ask him to
take care of changing his information in the packagedb. If there is no
known way of contacting the former maintainer, or he is not willing to
make the required change in the packagedb, one should directly jump to
the mail of the formal request to orphan all the packager packages to
fedora-devel-list.



--
Pat




Sounds great to me. It would have prevented this problem. I'm not hard
to find, especially since the other maintainers on the packages (who are
subscribed to the BZs) and I are all on IRC most of the time.


Steve

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

>>>>> "PD" == Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> writes:

PD> If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it
PD> should attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and
PD> ask him to take care of changing his information in the
PD> packagedb.

Yeah, I have to agree, but even then we shouldn't need to go through a
private investigator to track someone down. If all we have for
someone is an email address, and mail to it bounces continuously for
some period of time, then I'd suggest that we're done.

On the other hand, I happily gave my telephone number in FAS and I'd
hope to get a call in such an instance.

- J<

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Patrice Dumas
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:15:15PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> >>>>> "PD" == Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> writes:
>
> PD> If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it
> PD> should attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and
> PD> ask him to take care of changing his information in the
> PD> packagedb.
>
> Yeah, I have to agree, but even then we shouldn't need to go through a
> private investigator to track someone down. If all we have for
> someone is an email address, and mail to it bounces continuously for
> some period of time, then I'd suggest that we're done.

I agree. Maybe it could be stated more precisely. Anybody can
propose something better, especially in term of language.

--
Pat

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Steve Grubb
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

On Friday 06 June 2008 14:41:22 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> If there is no known way of contacting the former maintainer, or he is not
> willing to make the required change in the packagedb, one should directly
> jump to the mail of the formal request to orphan all the packager packages
> to fedora-devel-list.

What about the case where someone was terminated (which was not the case that
precipitated this thread)? Perhaps in that case the maintainer doesn't want
the whole world to know. How is that taken into account with this policy? I
think there are times when we have to respect that and have the ability to
replace maintainers without shouting to the world.

-Steve

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
"Mary Ellen Foster"
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

2008/6/6 Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr>:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:15:15PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> >>>>> "PD" == Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> writes:
>>
>> PD> If the mail of the maintainer has changed, anybody noticing it
>> PD> should attempt to contact the maintainer through another mean and
>> PD> ask him to take care of changing his information in the
>> PD> packagedb.
>>
>> Yeah, I have to agree, but even then we shouldn't need to go through a
>> private investigator to track someone down. If all we have for
>> someone is an email address, and mail to it bounces continuously for
>> some period of time, then I'd suggest that we're done.
>
> I agree. Maybe it could be stated more precisely. Anybody can
> propose something better, especially in term of language.

Okay, this is fairly petty, but if we're talking language, possibly we
should make sure it's "he or she" and so on ...

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München
and ICCS, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Patrice Dumas
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:09:34PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 14:41:22 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > If there is no known way of contacting the former maintainer, or he is not
> > willing to make the required change in the packagedb, one should directly
> > jump to the mail of the formal request to orphan all the packager packages
> > to fedora-devel-list.
>
> What about the case where someone was terminated (which was not the case that
> precipitated this thread)? Perhaps in that case the maintainer doesn't want
> the whole world to know. How is that taken into account with this policy? I
> think there are times when we have to respect that and have the ability to
> replace maintainers without shouting to the world.

There is no reason to give for stopping being a maintainer in fedora.
Everything regarding maintainership (inactivity, mail not reaching
anymore) is public anyway. As a side note, I am not saying that this
policy should be applied to people @redhat, but for other fedora
contributors there is a need for a policy like this one, and things have
to be public.

--
Pat

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 06-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Patrice Dumas
 
Default non responsive policy with invalid mail

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:17:42PM +0100, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
>
> Okay, this is fairly petty, but if we're talking language, possibly we
> should make sure it's "he or she" and so on ...

I use the french rule which is to use the 'he', but I don't know what is
the rule in english.

Anyway I edited
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/NonResponsiveMaintainers#Coverage
so anybody may change it now.

--
Pat

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org