Old 06-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Mike Chambers

Default rhgb vs ?

I know rhgb is being removed and a quicker gdm login process is taking
over, or at least something is? I updated my system to rawhide and saw
something replace rhgb? What package is that and can it be involved in
the kernel options in grub like rhgb used to?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:30 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> I know rhgb is being removed and a quicker gdm login process is taking
> over, or at least something is? I updated my system to rawhide and saw
> something replace rhgb? What package is that and can it be involved in
> the kernel options in grub like rhgb used to?

The new package is plymouth[1] but all of the integration pieces haven't
quite landed yet. But starting to land bits in rawhide helps to make
that easier, so the staging has begun. rhgb or not in the kernel
command line will likely continue to have an effect, although there's
some hand-waving on my part right now with that :-)

Jeremy

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup has more
details

Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:37 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:30 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > I know rhgb is being removed and a quicker gdm login process is taking
> > over, or at least something is? I updated my system to rawhide and saw
> > something replace rhgb? What package is that and can it be involved in
> > the kernel options in grub like rhgb used to?
>
> The new package is plymouth[1] but all of the integration pieces haven't
> quite landed yet. But starting to land bits in rawhide helps to make
> that easier, so the staging has begun. rhgb or not in the kernel
> command line will likely continue to have an effect, although there's
> some hand-waving on my part right now with that :-)

Plymouth is actually in rawhide already.
We just missing the mkinitrd bits to make use of it.
That will hopefully fall in place soon.
We are aiming for a demoable new bootsequence by Fudcon.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Kristian Høgsberg

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:42 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:37 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 11:30 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > > I know rhgb is being removed and a quicker gdm login process is taking
> > > over, or at least something is? I updated my system to rawhide and saw
> > > something replace rhgb? What package is that and can it be involved in
> > > the kernel options in grub like rhgb used to?
> >
> > The new package is plymouth[1] but all of the integration pieces haven't
> > quite landed yet. But starting to land bits in rawhide helps to make
> > that easier, so the staging has begun. rhgb or not in the kernel
> > command line will likely continue to have an effect, although there's
> > some hand-waving on my part right now with that :-)
> >

> Plymouth is actually in rawhide already.
> We just missing the mkinitrd bits to make use of it.
> That will hopefully fall in place soon.
> We are aiming for a demoable new bootsequence by Fudcon.

We're also missing the kernel modesetting bits. Until that lands, the
plymouth text mode boot screen should work, but it's mostly a stub for
now.

Kristian