Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Rex Dieter

Default cdparanoia III 10 license change

Adam Jackson wrote:

> cdparanoia 10 is GPLv3 and LGPLv3. This is a change from 9.8.
>
> Affected components:
>
> atropine:~% rpm -q --provides cdparanoia-libs | while read i junk ; do
> repoquery --qf="%{name}
" --whatrequires $i ; done | sort -u
> kdemultimedia-libs
>
> Of these, bmpx and kdemultimedia-libs claim to be v2-only.

kdemm fixed, verified (at least) GPLv2+ (with some parts LGPLv2+)

-- Rex

Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:10 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> cdparanoia 10 is GPLv3 and LGPLv3. This is a change from 9.8.
>
> Affected components:
>
> atropine:~% rpm -q --provides cdparanoia-libs | while read i junk ; do
> repoquery --qf="%{name}
" --whatrequires $i ; done | sort -u
> bmpx
> cdparanoia
> cdparanoia-debuginfo
> cdparanoia-devel
> cdparanoia-libs
> grip
> gstreamer-plugins-base
> kaffeine
> kdemultimedia-libs
>
> Of these, bmpx and kdemultimedia-libs claim to be v2-only. My reading
> of the compatibility matrix is that you can't link to a LGPLv3 library
> from GPLv2 code.

This is a correct assessment. Fortunately, bmpx had an incorrect license
tag (GPLv2) when it is actually GPLv2+. I've corrected that in rawhide.

kdemultimedia also had an incorrect license tag (GPLv2), when it is
actually GPLv2+ for the binaries, LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+ for its libraries.
Rex and I have corrected the license tags in rawhide.

There should be no problem moving forward with cdparanoia 10.

This is a big reason why it is important to ensure that your license
tags in the spec file are correct, it helps us to quickly identify areas
of possible license conflict.

Thanks,

~spot

Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Mamoru Tasaka

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote, at 06/06/2008 12:14 AM +9:00:
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:10 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> cdparanoia 10 is GPLv3 and LGPLv3. This is a change from 9.8.
>>
>> Affected components:
>>
>> atropine:~% rpm -q --provides cdparanoia-libs | while read i junk ; do
>> repoquery --qf="%{name}
" --whatrequires $i ; done | sort -u
>> bmpx
>> cdparanoia
>> cdparanoia-debuginfo
>> cdparanoia-devel
>> cdparanoia-libs
>> grip
>> gstreamer-plugins-base
>> kaffeine
>> kdemultimedia-libs
>>
>> Of these, bmpx and kdemultimedia-libs claim to be v2-only. My reading
>> of the compatibility matrix is that you can't link to a LGPLv3 library
>> from GPLv2 code.
>
> This is a correct assessment. Fortunately, bmpx had an incorrect license
> tag (GPLv2) when it is actually GPLv2+. I've corrected that in rawhide.

No. I reviewed this package and actually some files in src/ are actually licensed
under strict GPLv2, which renders the license of bmpx to be strict GPLv2.

Mamoru