Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Brian Pepple

Default Plan for tomorrows (20080605) FESCO meeting

Hi all,

Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday at 17:00 UTC
in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:

/topic FESC0-Meeting -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FTBFS -- all

/topic FESCO-Meeting -- FESCo Responsibilities/Role - Part Deux -- all

/topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

Later,
/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:58:03PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
> this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
> in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

I propose that the following people become sponsors:
Remi Collet (remi)
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ivazquez)
Nicolas Mailhot (nim)
Axel Thimm (athimm)
Gérard Milmeister (gemi)

--
Pat

Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

PD> I propose that the following people become sponsors:

It's a little late to run that by all of the sponsors before
tomorrow's meeting.

Have you at least contacted these people to see if they're interested
in being sponsors?

- J<

Old 06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 12:58 -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
> this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
> in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

I have a topic. Casey Dahlin has been doing some good work on making
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/NewMaintainerContainment a
reality. We're very close. One decision that I'd like to see discussed
is what we use to prime the membership of the as of yet to be named
elevated rights group. One suggestion has been to grandfather all of
current cvsextras into said group, however I think this would make the
later initiative
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/PackageACLOpening less
successful. Instead I suggest priming the group with current sponsors,
and allow any existing sponsor to promote the people they sponsor into
the elevated group. I'm also open to further ideals or discussions on
this.

I realize this is rather late notice and doesn't give a lot of time for
discussion on this list, however Casey has been getting things done
quicker than expected, which is a great thing.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 02:00:05PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> PD> I propose that the following people become sponsors:
>
> It's a little late to run that by all of the sponsors before
> tomorrow's meeting.

No problem. I didn't really understood when/how sponsors were proposed
so I used the opportunity of the weekly fesco call.

> Have you at least contacted these people to see if they're interested
> in being sponsors?

No. But I assumed that this was not needed, since it only opens
possiblities for the sponsors, responsibilities come only when they
sponsor somebody. And, unless I don't remember well nobody asked me
first when I was nominated, and I don't think it is an issue. Maybe
procedures changed, though, but I didn't saw anything like that on the
wiki page. I don't find sponsor related pages in the wiki anymore,
however so maybe I read it too fast.

--
Pat

Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Jesse Keating wrote:

I have a topic. Casey Dahlin has been doing some good work on making
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/NewMaintainerContainment a
reality. We're very close. One decision that I'd like to see discussed
is what we use to prime the membership of the as of yet to be named
elevated rights group. One suggestion has been to grandfather all of
current cvsextras into said group, however I think this would make the
later initiative
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/PackageACLOpening less
successful. Instead I suggest priming the group with current sponsors,
and allow any existing sponsor to promote the people they sponsor into
the elevated group. I'm also open to further ideals or discussions on
this.

Just a note: FAS has no way to enforce that a sponsor in Group A is the
person who adds someone to Group B. So if this policy were to start off
with sponsors from cvsextras, I'd rather that the sponsors could sponsor
anyone for the new group (not just people they sponsored in cvsextras).

I think this also maps better to the way we currently think of sponsors:
they're people who are considered more knowledgable and capable of
guiding other packagers' growth. They should be able to promote any
other contributor not just people they've shown an interest in in the past.

I realize this is rather late notice and doesn't give a lot of time for
discussion on this list, however Casey has been getting things done
quicker than expected, which is a great thing.

Yeah, Casey is doing some great work this summer.

-Toshio

Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 12:28 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Just a note: FAS has no way to enforce that a sponsor in Group A is the
> person who adds someone to Group B. So if this policy were to start off
> with sponsors from cvsextras, I'd rather that the sponsors could sponsor
> anyone for the new group (not just people they sponsored in cvsextras).
>
> I think this also maps better to the way we currently think of sponsors:
> they're people who are considered more knowledgable and capable of
> guiding other packagers' growth. They should be able to promote any
> other contributor not just people they've shown an interest in in the past.

I don't see a problem with that at all. In fact, I rather like that (:

Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le mercredi 04 juin 2008 à 20:29 +0200, Patrice Dumas a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:58:03PM -0400, Brian Pepple wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
> > this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
> > in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.
>
> I propose that the following people become sponsors:
> Remi Collet (remi)
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ivazquez)
> Nicolas Mailhot (nim)

Oh, great, another excuse to spend my free time elsewhere goes away. Now
you've proposed it I suppose I have to went along Given that I'd have
probably ended up asking for it myself someday anyway.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Brian Pepple

> I have a topic. Casey Dahlin has been doing some good work on making
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/NewMaintainerContainment a
> reality. We're very close. One decision that I'd like to see discussed
> is what we use to prime the membership of the as of yet to be named
> elevated rights group. One suggestion has been to grandfather all of
> current cvsextras into said group, however I think this would make the
> later initiative
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating/PackageACLOpening less
> successful. Instead I suggest priming the group with current sponsors,
> and allow any existing sponsor to promote the people they sponsor into
> the elevated group. I'm also open to further ideals or discussions on
> this.

I'll add it to the schedule.

Thanks,

Old 06-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Brian Pepple

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 21:20 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> No. But I assumed that this was not needed, since it only opens
> possiblities for the sponsors, responsibilities come only when they
> sponsor somebody. And, unless I don't remember well nobody asked me
> first when I was nominated, and I don't think it is an issue. Maybe
> procedures changed, though, but I didn't saw anything like that on the
> wiki page. I don't find sponsor related pages in the wiki anymore,
> however so maybe I read it too fast.

Here's a link to the page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Schedule/NewSponsors