Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Andrew Overholt

Default Fedora 9: NoClassDefFoundError (LogFactory) starting Tomcat from Fedora Eclipse

Hi,

* Greg Johnson <gregjo@yahoo.com> [2008-05-22 16:33]:

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory
>
> [...]
>
> Now here's where it got really interesting. Since it was complaining
> about LogFactory, I located it inside
> /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar
>
> So, just for grins, I unjar'ed the contents of:
> /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar
> and
> /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar
> Then I jar'ed all of the contents of those two jar files back into:
> /usr/share/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar
>
> And now I can launch Tomcat from Fedora Eclipse just fine.
> This is obviously a classpath issue....but whose?

This sounds like something is different with the packaging of the tomcat
jars and how the Sysdeo plugin expects them to be. You should file a
bug against the tomcat package to track this, but you could also email
the JPackage project since the tomcat RPMs in Fedora come from there
(AFAIK). In fact, I recall reading something on jpackage-discuss about
tomcat jar contents a few months ago ... perhaps this is related.

HTH,

Andrew