Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Colin Walters

Default java group

Hi,

What would you guys think about having a subset of Java packages be
owned by a Java group? I'm mostly thinking of random libraries; jna,
maven-*, etc. The idea would be that anyone in this group would get
email about bugs, have permission to do patches/uploads, etc.

If there's interest in this, according to
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-May/msg00627.html
Toshio can create it for us and help migrate ownership of existing
packages.

Call it say java-maint@fedoraproject.org?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Colin Walters <walters@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would you guys think about having a subset of Java packages be
> owned by a Java group? I'm mostly thinking of random libraries; jna,
> maven-*, etc. The idea would be that anyone in this group would get
> email about bugs, have permission to do patches/uploads, etc.
>
> If there's interest in this, according to
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-May/msg00627.html
> Toshio can create it for us and help migrate ownership of existing
> packages.
>
> Call it say java-maint@fedoraproject.org?

I think that would help with coverage of issues. The main problem is
making sure that someone is taking ownership of a problem in the group
so that something does not just get 'oh I thought Colin was working on
it?'

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> [2008-05-09 13:53]:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Colin Walters <walters@redhat.com> wrote:
> > What would you guys think about having a subset of Java packages be
> > owned by a Java group?

Tom Fitzsimmons was going to start a Java SIG. Perhaps this can tie in
with that?

> > [...]
>
> I think that would help with coverage of issues. The main problem is
> making sure that someone is taking ownership of a problem in the group
> so that something does not just get 'oh I thought Colin was working on
> it?'

Yeah, that's my only issue as well. And it annoys me when I file a bug
and see it go to xdg-maint@redhat.com or something since there's no
guarantee anyone's watching that alias.

I'm sure those with a million packages like Deepak (dbhole) would really
appreciate any help, though!

Andrew

Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Colin Walters

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 14:03 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> * Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> [2008-05-09 13:53]:
> > On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Colin Walters <walters@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > What would you guys think about having a subset of Java packages be
> > > owned by a Java group?
>
> Tom Fitzsimmons was going to start a Java SIG. Perhaps this can tie in
> with that?

Yeah, that makes sense.

> > > [...]
> >
> > I think that would help with coverage of issues. The main problem is
> > making sure that someone is taking ownership of a problem in the group
> > so that something does not just get 'oh I thought Colin was working on
> > it?'
>
> Yeah, that's my only issue as well. And it annoys me when I file a bug
> and see it go to xdg-maint@redhat.com or something since there's no
> guarantee anyone's watching that alias.

That is a valid concern - however, since Fedora is in general a
community project, there's no guarantee that a bug will get a response
even if it's assigned to an actual person.

As for knowing that someone's working on a bug - Bugzilla provides a
mechanism for someone to take ownership of a bug (change state to
ASSIGNED, reassign to your email address).

I think in practice, having more people see issues and work on them
collectively will work out better than individual fiefdoms.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Colin Walters <walters@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 14:03 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> * Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> [2008-05-09 13:53]:
>>
>> Tom Fitzsimmons was going to start a Java SIG. Perhaps this can tie in
>> with that?
>
> Yeah, that makes sense.

>> > I think that would help with coverage of issues. The main problem is
>> > making sure that someone is taking ownership of a problem in the group
>> > so that something does not just get 'oh I thought Colin was working on
>> > it?'
>>
>> Yeah, that's my only issue as well. And it annoys me when I file a bug
>> and see it go to xdg-maint@redhat.com or something since there's no
>> guarantee anyone's watching that alias.
>
> That is a valid concern - however, since Fedora is in general a
> community project, there's no guarantee that a bug will get a response
> even if it's assigned to an actual person.

s/in general a community//

I have had more than my share of RH bugs that sat in UNASSIGNED for a
long time .. and I worked there at the time.

> As for knowing that someone's working on a bug - Bugzilla provides a
> mechanism for someone to take ownership of a bug (change state to
> ASSIGNED, reassign to your email address).
>
> I think in practice, having more people see issues and work on them
> collectively will work out better than individual fiefdoms.

That is true... as long as the workflow is clear.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux