-   Fedora Development Java (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/)
-   -   Newbie java packaging questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/7271-newbie-java-packaging-questions.html)

Sander Hoentjen 11-28-2007 01:12 PM

Newbie java packaging questions

Hi all,

I started my attempt at packaging josm. I have some question about it, I
hope someone here can help me out.
For compiling should I use ant or javac? Using ant gives me a .jar file,
if I compile that to binary format with gcj, how can I start it?
Is it preferred to have a jar file or to have the files separate?

Kind regards,

Sander

Thomas Fitzsimmons 11-29-2007 05:35 AM

Sander Hoentjen wrote:

Hi all,

I started my attempt at packaging josm. I have some question about it, I
hope someone here can help me out.
For compiling should I use ant or javac? Using ant gives me a .jar file,

Build however the upstream project builds.

if I compile that to binary format with gcj, how can I start it?

For simplicity, build against IcedTea first. Then if you're intent on
native compilation, have a look here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NativeJava

Is it preferred to have a jar file or to have the files separate?

A jar is preferred.

Tom