Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Ismael Olea

Default get svnkit back to life?

Hi:
I've just discovered svnkit is a dead package at rawhide. Being a dependency for OmegaT 2.6.* I wonder about the reasons to be deprecated. Anybody can give me any hint?

--

Ismael Olea

http://olea.org/diario/

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Aleksandar Kurtakov

I've been the maintainer of svnkit for years but upstream started to use gradle which is the most broken by design buildsystem when one considers packagers needs - download everything (including gradle itself!!!), no standard way of doing anything and so on. I kept an old svnkit version alive for sometime but I gave up when even the old version can't be compiled due to incompatibility with latest subversion-javahl. I can't convince myself that it makes sense to neither work on old svnkit to compile with latest subversion-javahl nor touching anything gradle related. Best approach for me is someone interested to rewrite svnkit buildsystem using something normal(ant, maven, pure make, even autotools).

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team

Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Ismael Olea

Best approach for me is someone interested to rewrite svnkit buildsystem using something normal(ant, maven, pure make, even autotools).

hum, how complex do you think it could be, from trivial to nightmare (using ant or make)?

--

Ismael Olea

http://olea.org/diario/

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Mat Booth

On 27 September 2012 08:32, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@redhat.com> wrote:
> I've been the maintainer of svnkit for years but upstream started to use gradle which is the most broken by design buildsystem when one considers packagers needs - download everything (including gradle itself!!!), no standard way of doing anything and so on. I kept an old svnkit version alive for sometime but I gave up when even the old version can't be compiled due to incompatibility with latest subversion-javahl. I can't convince myself that it makes sense to neither work on old svnkit to compile with latest subversion-javahl nor touching anything gradle related. Best approach for me is someone interested to rewrite svnkit buildsystem using something normal(ant, maven, pure make, even autotools).

Or patch OmegaT to use subversion-javahl instead, I wonder if that
would be easier.

> Alexander Kurtakov
> Red Hat Eclipse team

Mat Booth