Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Stanislav Ochotnicky

Default A script to help packaging Maven artifacts

Quoting Mikolaj Izdebski (2012-09-11 14:11:46)
> Maven is currently dominating build system in Fedora Java
> packages. Autogenerating source RPM packages (or package
> skeletons) from Maven artifacts isn't new idea [1], but I'm
> not aware of any tool implementing such thing.
>
> I've been recently playing a bit with Maven and I thought of
> creating a tool that given a Maven groupId and artifactId would
> download it along with all dependencies that are not yet
> packaged for Fedora and create skeleton packages. A lot of
> metadata (including Requires, BuildRequires, URLs, Description)
> is already present in pom.xml files and can be easily extracted.
>
> I could rather easily crqeate such tool. The question is, would
> anyone be interested in seeing (and perhaps using) that?
> If yes, please speak up and share your ideas.

I would just add a note that it should be clear enough that this will
generate RPMs that would not be supportable on Fedora infrastructure.
In other words the tool would download binary jars from maven central,
place them in correct subdirectory in (/usr/share/java/maven2rpm/ for
example) and create proper depmaps so the resulting RPMs would be
integrated with rest of the system.

PGP: 7B087241
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com

Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Mikolaj Izdebski

> I would just add a note that it should be clear enough that this will
> generate RPMs that would not be supportable on Fedora infrastructure.
> In other words the tool would download binary jars from maven central,
> place them in correct subdirectory in (/usr/share/java/maven2rpm/ for
> example) and create proper depmaps so the resulting RPMs would be
> integrated with rest of the system.

No, not at all. This tool would create spec files that after some minor
manual tweaks could be included as a part of Fedora.

This tool would download *source* tarballs and extract metadata from
pom.xml files creating package skeleton with one artifact per subpackage,
%build section consisting of mvn-rpmbuild and so on. Such package would
meet packaging guidelines and could definitely be used to package
software for inclusion in Fedora.

Mikolaj Izdebski

Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Aleksandar Kurtakov

FWIW, I like Mikolaj's proposal way more!!!

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Matt Spaulding

This sounds like an excellent idea, though I'm skeptical you would be able to automatically download source. Many times I find that I have to scour the internet to find the source for java dependencies, which could be packaged in different ways, or require me to package it myself from a source repository. This is much easier when dealing with Python (PyPi) or Ruby (RubyGems) since there are central repositories that contain the sources you're looking for.

While it would certainly be possible, it would not be trivial by any means. Can't wait to see how it goes; I would definitely use this tool!

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@redhat.com> wrote:

> I would just add a note that it should be clear enough that this will

> generate RPMs that would not be supportable on Fedora infrastructure.

> In other words the tool would download binary jars from maven central,

> place them in correct subdirectory in (/usr/share/java/maven2rpm/ for

> example) and create proper depmaps so the resulting RPMs would be

> integrated with rest of the system.

No, not at all. This tool would create spec files that after some minor

manual tweaks could be included as a part of Fedora.

This tool would download *source* tarballs and extract metadata from

pom.xml files creating package skeleton with one artifact per subpackage,

%build section consisting of mvn-rpmbuild and so on. Such package would

meet packaging guidelines and could definitely *be used to package

software for inclusion in Fedora.

Mikolaj Izdebski

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. - Rene Descartes