Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development Java (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/)
-   -   Draft of the Fedora Java story (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/698315-draft-fedora-java-story.html)

Dan Allen 08-28-2012 04:36 AM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
Fedora Java enthusiasts,
I'm working on a page that presents the goal that many of us share to make Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM platform developers. The page explains why Fedora Java is important both to the distribution (so that these packages get highlighted in the announcements and other marketing) and to the developers.


If you're interested in seeing Fedora get adopted by more Java and JVM platform developers, read over the draft and let me know what you think. I'm definitely interested to discover if it's inaccurate or misleading in anyway. I'm also interested to here what *your* vision is for Fedora Java. (If it's different than the vision I outlined, that's *okay*).


https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief
The more Java developers we have using Fedora, the more participation we'll likely see in the Java SIG.


-Dan
p.s. If you have any other Java-related features you'd like to see highlighted in Fedora 18, please let us know!
--
Dan Allen

Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597

http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen

http://mojavelinux.com

http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction



--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Aleksandar Kurtakov 08-28-2012 06:15 AM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
That's awesome page Dan!

We were really missing someone with marketing skills. I really like where you're heading too.

Alex


----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Allen" <dan.j.allen@gmail.com>
> To: java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:36:02 AM
> Subject: [fedora-java] Draft of the Fedora Java story
>
>
> Fedora Java enthusiasts,
>
> I'm working on a page that presents the goal that many of us share to
> make Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM
> platform developers. The page explains why Fedora Java is important
> both to the distribution (so that these packages get highlighted in
> the announcements and other marketing) and to the developers.
>
>
> If you're interested in seeing Fedora get adopted by more Java and
> JVM platform developers, read over the draft and let me know what
> you think. I'm definitely interested to discover if it's inaccurate
> or misleading in anyway. I'm also interested to here what *your*
> vision is for Fedora Java. (If it's different than the vision I
> outlined, that's *okay*).
>
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief
>
>
> The more Java developers we have using Fedora, the more participation
> we'll likely see in the Java SIG.
>
>
>
> -Dan
>
>
> p.s. If you have any other Java-related features you'd like to see
> highlighted in Fedora 18, please let us know!
>
>
> --
>
> Dan Allen Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in
> Action
> Registered Linux User #231597
>
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
> http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction
>
>
> --
> java-devel mailing list
> java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel
--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Mat Booth 08-28-2012 01:41 PM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
On 28 August 2012 05:36, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fedora Java enthusiasts,
>
> I'm working on a page that presents the goal that many of us share to make
> Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM platform
> developers. The page explains why Fedora Java is important both to the
> distribution (so that these packages get highlighted in the announcements
> and other marketing) and to the developers.
>
> If you're interested in seeing Fedora get adopted by more Java and JVM
> platform developers, read over the draft and let me know what you think. I'm
> definitely interested to discover if it's inaccurate or misleading in
> anyway. I'm also interested to here what *your* vision is for Fedora Java.
> (If it's different than the vision I outlined, that's *okay*).
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief
>
> The more Java developers we have using Fedora, the more participation we'll
> likely see in the Java SIG.
>
> -Dan
>
> p.s. If you have any other Java-related features you'd like to see
> highlighted in Fedora 18, please let us know!
>

Nice, have you considered contributing to the Fedora Java release notes beat?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats (See Java in the "Changes in
Fedora for developers" category.)

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora
--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Mario Torre 08-28-2012 02:05 PM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
Il giorno mar, 28/08/2012 alle 00.36 -0400, Dan Allen ha scritto:
> Fedora Java enthusiasts,
>
>
> I'm working on a page that presents the goal that many of us share to
> make Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM
> platform developers. The page explains why Fedora Java is important
> both to the distribution (so that these packages get highlighted in
> the announcements and other marketing) and to the developers.
>
>
> If you're interested in seeing Fedora get adopted by more Java and JVM
> platform developers, read over the draft and let me know what you
> think. I'm definitely interested to discover if it's inaccurate or
> misleading in anyway. I'm also interested to here what *your* vision
> is for Fedora Java. (If it's different than the vision I outlined,
> that's *okay*).
>
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief
>
>
> The more Java developers we have using Fedora, the more participation
> we'll likely see in the Java SIG.
>
> -Dan
>
>
> p.s. If you have any other Java-related features you'd like to see
> highlighted in Fedora 18, please let us know!

Hi Dan,

Great!

Please, also add Thermostat:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Thermostat
http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Thermostat

Ping me if you want to know more about that.

Cheers,
Mario


--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Dan Allen 08-28-2012 06:06 PM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Mario Torre <neugens@redhat.com> wrote:


Il giorno mar, 28/08/2012 alle 00.36 -0400, Dan Allen ha scritto:

> Fedora Java enthusiasts,

>

>

> I'm working on a page that presents the goal that many of us share to

> make Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM

> platform developers. The page explains why Fedora Java is important

> both to the distribution (so that these packages get highlighted in

> the announcements and other marketing) and to the developers.

>

>

> If you're interested in seeing Fedora get adopted by more Java and JVM

> platform developers, read over the draft and let me know what you

> think. I'm definitely interested to discover if it's inaccurate or

> misleading in anyway. I'm also interested to here what *your* vision

> is for Fedora Java. (If it's different than the vision I outlined,

> that's *okay*).

>

>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief

>

>

> The more Java developers we have using Fedora, the more participation

> we'll likely see in the Java SIG.

>

> -Dan

>

>

> p.s. If you have any other Java-related features you'd like to see

> highlighted in Fedora 18, please let us know!



Hi Dan,



Great!



Please, also add Thermostat:



https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Thermostat

http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Thermostat



Ping me if you want to know more about that.


Oh my goodness, I can't believe I left out thermostat! I've been telling folks about Thermostat whenever I'm discussing Fedora Java. I'll definitely include it in the brief. Thanks for calling my attention to it Mario.


-Dan*
--
Dan AllenPrincipal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597

http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen


http://mojavelinux.com
http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction


--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Dan Allen 08-28-2012 06:09 PM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk> wrote:


On 28 August 2012 05:36, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fedora Java enthusiasts,

>

> I'm working on a page that presents the goal that many of us share to make

> Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java and JVM platform

> developers. The page explains why Fedora Java is important both to the

> distribution (so that these packages get highlighted in the announcements

> and other marketing) and to the developers.

>

> If you're interested in seeing Fedora get adopted by more Java and JVM

> platform developers, read over the draft and let me know what you think. I'm

> definitely interested to discover if it's inaccurate or misleading in

> anyway. I'm also interested to here what *your* vision is for Fedora Java.

> (If it's different than the vision I outlined, that's *okay*).

>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief

>

> The more Java developers we have using Fedora, the more participation we'll

> likely see in the Java SIG.

>

> -Dan

>

> p.s. If you have any other Java-related features you'd like to see

> highlighted in Fedora 18, please let us know!

>



Nice, have you considered contributing to the Fedora Java release notes beat?



https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats (See Java in the "Changes in

Fedora for developers" category.)

Yep, that's right along the lines of where I'm headed. Count me in.
(Just I heads up, I'm in the process of moving from MD to CO this week, so I may not reply right away. But keep the input coming)


-Dan
--
Dan AllenPrincipal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597

http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen


http://mojavelinux.com
http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction


--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Dan Allen 08-28-2012 06:22 PM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@redhat.com> wrote:


That's awesome page Dan!



We were really missing someone with marketing skills. I really like where you're heading too.

Thanks! I think this is a good fit for me given my background evangelizing and hacking on both Linux and Java. As time permits I'll get involved in a few more of the packages as well.


Btw, one of the visions that I don't mention explicitly in the brief is that several of the core JBoss developers have discussed over the years the idea of being able to provide a "contributor toolkit" in the form of a spin, a remix or hosted vm image. It often takes awhile to get new contributors spun up, and it would be awesome just to give them


a) something that gets them started quicklyb) something that reinforces the OSS culture
That's one of the reasons I've been so excited about the Fedora Java Spin.


I think (b) is just as important as (a), because Java developers aren't by default OSS or Linux advocates. That's just more opportunity for Fedora Java to make an impact.


Of course, I'm well aware that Fedora Java is much broader than the concerns of JBoss middleware, and the key is to touch as much of the JVM ecosystem as possible. That includes desktop technologies like Java-based applications as well as frameworks like Griffon.


Cheers,
-Dan
--
Dan AllenPrincipal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597


http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen

http://mojavelinux.com
http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction


--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel

Aleksandar Kurtakov 08-28-2012 06:50 PM

Draft of the Fedora Java story
 
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Allen" <dan.j.allen@gmail.com>
> To: "Aleksandar Kurtakov" <akurtako@redhat.com>
> Cc: java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:22:28 PM
> Subject: Re: [fedora-java] Draft of the Fedora Java story
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Aleksandar Kurtakov <
> akurtako@redhat.com > wrote:
>
>
>
> That's awesome page Dan!
>
> We were really missing someone with marketing skills. I really like
> where you're heading too.
>
>
>
> Thanks! I think this is a good fit for me given my background
> evangelizing and hacking on both Linux and Java. As time permits
> I'll get involved in a few more of the packages as well.
>
>
> Btw, one of the visions that I don't mention explicitly in the brief
> is that several of the core JBoss developers have discussed over the
> years the idea of being able to provide a "contributor toolkit" in
> the form of a spin, a remix or hosted vm image. It often takes
> awhile to get new contributors spun up, and it would be awesome just
> to give them
>
>
> a) something that gets them started quickly
> b) something that reinforces the OSS culture
>
>
> That's one of the reasons I've been so excited about the Fedora Java
> Spin.

That would really be awesome. Gnome is moving in this direction too and sooner or later every project will do it because the complexity grows exponentially and setting things up becomes harder and harder.

>
>
> I think (b) is just as important as (a), because Java developers
> aren't by default OSS or Linux advocates. That's just more
> opportunity for Fedora Java to make an impact.
>
>
> Of course, I'm well aware that Fedora Java is much broader than the
> concerns of JBoss middleware, and the key is to touch as much of the
> JVM ecosystem as possible. That includes desktop technologies like
> Java-based applications as well as frameworks like Griffon.

Well, keeping us being best in few places gives us more chances than being moderate/acceptable for most tasks. At least I feel like I do way more impact concentrating on Eclipse stuff compared to the time I've been trying to be Fedora Java "jack of all trades" :). So everyone concentrating on his best might be the best call who knows :).

Regards,
Alex

>
>
> Cheers,
>
>
> -Dan
>
> --
>
> Dan Allen Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in
> Action
> Registered Linux User #231597
>
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
> http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction
>
>
--
java-devel mailing list
java-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/java-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.