-   Fedora Development Java (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/)
-   -   including vimclojure in Fedora 18 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/697656-including-vimclojure-fedora-18-a.html)

Dan Allen 08-25-2012 04:41 PM

including vimclojure in Fedora 18

Kushal and Michel,
I noticed that you're leading up the effort to package Leiningen for Fedora 18, for which I'm thrilled. Would you consider sponsering a package for vimclojure [1] as well? Nailgun is already available in Fedora [2], so it's just a matter of package the vim scripts. I imagine the package would look very similar to vim-nerdtree [3], so we could build on that.

I'm not a Fedora packager, but I would be willing to help put the package together. WDYT? I think this would be big for Clojure developers (obviously those that use vim, but perhaps developers who haven't experienced good repl editor integration).

-Dan
[1]*http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2501[2]*https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/nailgun

[3]*http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/vim-nerdtree.git/tree/vim-nerdtree.spec
--
Dan Allen

Registered Linux User #231597

http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen

http://mojavelinux.com

http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction

Dan Allen 08-25-2012 07:20 PM

including vimclojure in Fedora 18

I've prepared a spec file for this package. I've tested it and it works to my satisfaction.
https://github.com/mojavelinux/fedorapkg-vim-vimclojure

Feel free to move the files to wherever they need to go.

I have two open questions:
1. Should the package be named vim-vimclojure (as it is) or vim-clojure?

2. Should the package require nailgun, or should the user have to install that package separately? (Note that vimclojure will function without nailgun)
(Btw, is there a way to mark a package dependency as optional or recommended?)

-Dan

[...]

Dan AllenPrincipal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action

Michel Alexandre Salim 08-26-2012 04:45 AM

including vimclojure in Fedora 18

Hi Dan,

I'd be thrilled to sponsor you if you'd like to be a developer.
Failing which, one of Kushal or myself can officially propose the
package, with your help in case we run into problems.

Fedora packaging guidelines currently does not allow for optional
dependencies (recommendations/suggestions) -- athough I believe
openSUSE and Mandriva use them. So I'd say it depends on whether it
adds substantial functionality or not; if not, maybe a mention in a
README.Fedora file suggesting the other package be installed is
sufficient.

Let me know what you think.

Best,

On 08/26/2012 02:20 AM, Dan Allen wrote:
> I've prepared a spec file for this package. I've tested it and it
> works to my satisfaction.
>
> https://github.com/mojavelinux/fedorapkg-vim-vimclojure
>
> Feel free to move the files to wherever they need to go.
>
> I have two open questions:
>
> 1. Should the package be named vim-vimclojure (as it is) or
> vim-clojure? 2. Should the package require nailgun, or should the
> user have to install that package separately? (Note that vimclojure
> will function without nailgun)
>
> (Btw, is there a way to mark a package dependency as optional or
> recommended?)
>
> -Dan
>
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen@gmail.com
> <mailto:dan.j.allen@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Kushal and Michel,
>
> I noticed that you're leading up the effort to package Leiningen
> for Fedora 18, for which I'm thrilled. Would you consider
> sponsering a package for vimclojure [1] as well? Nailgun is already
> available in Fedora [2], so it's just a matter of package the vim
> scripts. I imagine the package would look very similar to
> vim-nerdtree [3], so we could build on that.
>
> I'm not a Fedora packager, but I would be willing to help put the
> package together. WDYT? I think this would be big for Clojure
> developers (obviously those that use vim, but perhaps developers
> who haven't experienced good repl editor integration).
>
> -Dan
>
> [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2501 [2]
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/nailgun [3]
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/vim-nerdtree.git/tree/vim-nerdtree.spec
>
> -- Dan Allen Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam
> in Action Registered Linux User #231597
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction
>

> -- Dan Allen Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam
> in Action Registered Linux User #231597
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction

- --
Michel Alexandre Salim
Fedora Project Contributor: http://fedoraproject.org/

Email: salimma@fedoraproject.org | GPG key ID: A36A937A
Jabber: hircus@jabber.ccc.de | IRC: hircus@irc.freenode.net

Dan Allen 08-26-2012 09:18 PM

including vimclojure in Fedora 18

Michel,
Excellent!
I've done some additional work on the package, including building the vimclojure nailgun server and installing the jar (as the guidelines require using mvn-rpmbuild). In the source, the server uses lein to build, but it's a trivial Maven POM to write because all it's doing is compiling Java with no external dependencies other than Clojure. Therefore, I just added the POM to the spec and voila, it builds :)

Since I'm now installing the vimclojure nailgun server, I think it's reasonable to include nailgun as a dependency. Here's the experience the user can expect:
(in terminal #1)

sudo yum install vimclojurejava -jar /usr/share/java/vimclojure/server.jar
(in terminal #2)vim test.cljtype: let g:vimclojure#WantNailgun = 1type: (println "Hello, World")

type: et
And voila, they see "Hello, World" printed in a split buffer.
That's a pretty stellar experience compared to what it takes to get VimClojure setup manually.

I opted to name the package "vimclojure" since it's providing both the server jar (in JPP-compliant fashion) and the vimfiles. In review, we could consider sub-packages, but for now it really makes a lot of sense to me to keep it together.

I'd say the package is ready for review!
Please note that I changed the name of the repository. It's now here:
https://github.com/mojavelinux/fedorapkg-vimclojure

-Dan
p.s. Btw, the vimclojure server jar will come in handy for leiningin as it will provide the jar file needed for lein-tarsier (if you want to only use system jar files).

> [...]

> scripts. I imagine the package would look very similar to

> vim-nerdtree [3], so we could build on that.

> I'm not a Fedora packager, but I would be willing to help put the

> package together. WDYT? I think this would be big for Clojure

> developers (obviously those that use vim, but perhaps developers

> who haven't experienced good repl editor integration).

> -Dan

> [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2501 [2]

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/nailgun [3]

> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/vim-nerdtree.git/tree/vim-nerdtree.spec

> *-- Dan Allen Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam

> in Action Registered Linux User #231597

> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen http://mojavelinux.com

> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction

> -- Dan Allen Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam

() *ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

/ *www.asciiribbon.org * - against proprietary attachments

Dan Allen 08-26-2012 09:24 PM

including vimclojure in Fedora 18

Even clearer instructions to*get vimclojure working entirely from this package:

(in terminal #1)

sudo yum install vimclojure

java -jar /usr/share/java/vimclojure/server.jar^^ note that once you are inside a clojure project, you'll likely need more entries in the classpath. For that, you'll likely switch to using the vimclojure goal from lein-tarsier

(in terminal #2)vim test.clj

type: :let g:vimclojure#WantNailgun = 1
type: itype: (println "Hello, World")
type: Ctrl+[

type: et

To hide the buffer, type: p

If you want to always use the nailgun connection, put this in your ~/.vimrc