Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Andy Grimm

Default osgi system bundle

Hi, all. This morning I was dealing with a build issue related to
broken eclipse package, and it surprised me that eclipse was being
pulled into my buildroot for a random java package. The root of this
is that osgi(system.bundle) is provided by eclipse-rcp, which requires
eclipse-platform, and osgi(system.bundle) is now being required by
some fairly commonly used java packages:

xalan-j2-0:2.7.1-13.fc18.noarch
xbean-0:3.11.1-3.fc18.noarch
xml-commons-apis-0:1.4.01-7.fc18.noarch
xml-commons-resolver-0:1.2-9.fc18.noarch

In particular, xalan-j2 is required for pretty much the entire java
ecosystem, including ant, maven, groovy, various apache-commons
packages, etc.

So what's the rationale for this? Perhaps this is a bug? Maybe
something needs to be subpackaged differently? The current state of
things seems a bit bloated to me.

Thanks.

Andy

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Aleksandar Kurtakov

> Hi, all. This morning I was dealing with a build issue related to
> broken eclipse package, and it surprised me that eclipse was being
> pulled into my buildroot for a random java package. The root of this
> is that osgi(system.bundle) is provided by eclipse-rcp, which
> requires
> eclipse-platform, and osgi(system.bundle) is now being required by
> some fairly commonly used java packages:
>
> xalan-j2-0:2.7.1-13.fc18.noarch
> xbean-0:3.11.1-3.fc18.noarch
> xml-commons-apis-0:1.4.01-7.fc18.noarch
> xml-commons-resolver-0:1.2-9.fc18.noarch
>
> In particular, xalan-j2 is required for pretty much the entire java
> ecosystem, including ant, maven, groovy, various apache-commons
> packages, etc.
>
> So what's the rationale for this? Perhaps this is a bug? Maybe
> something needs to be subpackaged differently? The current state of
> things seems a bit bloated to me.

Well, these are bugs in the packages you mentioned. See http://wiki.osgi.org/wiki/System_Bundle for description what system.bundle is. There is no point in any bundle requiring system.bundle unless they call stuff from org.osgi.framework which neither xalan-j2 nor xml-commons do. Please open bug reports against the respective packages to fix their osgi manifests.
TBH, we probably can move the system.bundle provide (it's manual) to eclipse-equinox-osgi. Chris, would you please take care of moving this provides.

Regards,
Alex

Regards,
Alex

Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Andy Grimm

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Aleksandar Kurtakov
<akurtako@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

Ok, I can open the bugs, but I'm actually the owner of xalan-j2, so
that's just going to come right back to me. (and actually, somebody
just emailed xalan-j2-owners about it). :-) Could you help me
determine the correct way to get rid of this dep?

Thanks.

Andy

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Aleksandar Kurtakov

Just remove the system.bundle from Require-Bundle tag in the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file in the jar.

Regards,
Alex

Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Andy Grimm

I would, but such a line does not exist. The only Require-Bundle line
has org.apache.xerces

Further, I am assuming that the script driving these deps is
/usr/lib/rpm/osgideps.pl , and I get this:

$ echo /usr/share/java/xalan-j2.jar | /usr/lib/rpm/osgideps.pl --requires
osgi(org.apache.xerces)

so I don't really understand where the system.bundle requirement is coming from.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Andy Grimm

Nevermind. It was in a separate jar (xalan-j2-serializer)