Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Orion Poplawski

Default eclipse packaging with maven/tycho

I'm starting to look into shifting building eclipse-ptp/photran with
maven/tycho rather that pdebuild. This is being driven by circular
build deps among the various features that make up ptp/photran and the
fact that this is how upstream builds it.

As currently packaged I have quite a lot of sub-packages that break out
the various features. This was fairly easy to do with pdebuild since
everything was built on feature boundaries.

however with maven/tycho I end up with a single zip file with all the
features and plugins in it making it hard to put the plugins into the
proper sub-package.

Thoughts/suggestions? Just give up and package it all as one package?

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Orion Poplawski

I'm starting to look into shifting building eclipse-ptp/photran with
maven/tycho rather that pdebuild. This is being driven by circular
build deps among the various features that make up ptp/photran and the
fact that this is how upstream builds it.

As currently packaged I have quite a lot of sub-packages that break out
the various features. This was fairly easy to do with pdebuild since
everything was built on feature boundaries.

however with maven/tycho I end up with a single zip file with all the
features and plugins in it making it hard to put the plugins into the
proper sub-package.

Thoughts/suggestions? Just give up and package it all as one package?

Looks like we need to update
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:EclipsePlugins

as well. For example, after unpacking the repo zip, do we need to
unpack the jars?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Severin Gehwolf

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 21:09 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> I'm starting to look into shifting building eclipse-ptp/photran with
> maven/tycho rather that pdebuild. This is being driven by circular
> build deps among the various features that make up ptp/photran and the
> fact that this is how upstream builds it.
>
> As currently packaged I have quite a lot of sub-packages that break out
> the various features. This was fairly easy to do with pdebuild since
> everything was built on feature boundaries.
>
> however with maven/tycho I end up with a single zip file with all the
> features and plugins in it making it hard to put the plugins into the
> proper sub-package.
>
> Thoughts/suggestions? Just give up and package it all as one package?

FWIW: eclipse-mylyn does exactly this. There is now one SRPM
eclipse-mylyn again which produces many binary RPM packages which used
to be in separate SRPMs. For example
eclipse-mylyn-{commons,builds,tasks,docs,ide}. Mylyn upstream also moved
to tycho.

Cheers,
Severin