Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Gerard Ryan

Default Eclipse plugins questions

Hi,

So, I haven't got much experience with building eclipse plugins, but
that is changing quickly.

For JBoss Tools, I need some additional parts of wtp, which I have been
trying to do over the last few days. One problem I'm running into, is
that some stuff that I need from there seems to depend on old versions
of stuff that we have in fedora, and I don't know what to do in this
situation.

Example: I'm trying to build the feature
org.eclipse.wst.ws_core.feature, in wtp-webservices. One of the plugins
that this feature builds is org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation. This plugin
depends on org.apache.xerces 2.8.0. In fedora, we've got 2.11.0.
Somewhere between these two versions, some things changed, and the
plugin is not fully compatible with the new version. See the following
error:

[javac] 6. ERROR in
/home/grdryn/Downloads/jeetools-HEAD/ws3/plugins/org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation/src/org/eclipse/wst/wsdl/validation/internal/ValidationController.java
(at line 311)
[javac] public void reportError(String domain, String key, Object[]
arguments, short severity) throws XNIException
[javac] ^^^^
[javac] The return type is incompatible with
XMLErrorReporter.reportError(String, String, Object[], short)

If I comment org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation out of the feature, try to
rebuild, there will be new errors, because other plugins depend on
different versions of other stuff.

What's the next step here? Here's a few possibilities rolling around my
head, I'm not sure if any of them are right:

- - package the older versions of deps for fedora. I'm pretty sure this
isn't the answer.
- - patch all of the files to fix the errors, and apply those patches in
the fedora package. This doesn't feel right either, as there would be
quite a large number of patches.
- - submit patches upstream, wait until they are accepted, then package
for fedora. This sounds the most right I think, but I've no idea if the
patches will be accepted (upstream might be sticking to older deps for
good reasons, so as not to break other stuff). I'm also under time
constraints, as I'm packaging JBoss Tools as part of Google Summer of
Code.

Are any of these the right way to go about this, or are there other
possibilities?

- --
Gerard Ryan :: galileo@fedoraproject.org :: http://gerard.ryan.lt/blog
PGP Fingerprint: AA11 A666 C98E B6D8 231C 11ED 6EDC 7E4A 62BC 4A15

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Aleksandar Kurtakov

> So, I haven't got much experience with building eclipse plugins, but
> that is changing quickly.
>
> For JBoss Tools, I need some additional parts of wtp, which I have
> been
> trying to do over the last few days. One problem I'm running into, is
> that some stuff that I need from there seems to depend on old
> versions
> of stuff that we have in fedora, and I don't know what to do in this
> situation.
>
> Example: I'm trying to build the feature
> org.eclipse.wst.ws_core.feature, in wtp-webservices. One of the
> plugins
> that this feature builds is org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation. This
> plugin
> depends on org.apache.xerces 2.8.0. In fedora, we've got 2.11.0.
> Somewhere between these two versions, some things changed, and the
> plugin is not fully compatible with the new version. See the
> following
> error:
>

> [javac] 6. ERROR in
> /home/grdryn/Downloads/jeetools-HEAD/ws3/plugins/org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation/src/org/eclipse/wst/wsdl/validation/internal/ValidationController.java
> (at line 311)
> [javac] public void reportError(String domain, String key,
> Object[]
> arguments, short severity) throws XNIException
> [javac] ^^^^
> [javac] The return type is incompatible with
> XMLErrorReporter.reportError(String, String, Object[], short)
>
> If I comment org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation out of the feature, try
> rebuild, there will be new errors, because other plugins depend on
> different versions of other stuff.
>
> What's the next step here? Here's a few possibilities rolling around
> my
> head, I'm not sure if any of them are right:
>
> - - package the older versions of deps for fedora. I'm pretty sure
> this
> isn't the answer.
> - - patch all of the files to fix the errors, and apply those patches
> in
> the fedora package. This doesn't feel right either, as there would be
> quite a large number of patches.
> - - submit patches upstream, wait until they are accepted, then
> package
> for fedora. This sounds the most right I think, but I've no idea if
> the
> patches will be accepted (upstream might be sticking to older deps
> for
> good reasons, so as not to break other stuff). I'm also under time
> constraints, as I'm packaging JBoss Tools as part of Google Summer of
> Code.
>
> Are any of these the right way to go about this, or are there other
> possibilities?

The correct answer is 2+3. Patch it to use the version in Fedora, put the package in Fedora and send the patch for inclusion upstream.

Alex

Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Gerard Ryan