Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Garrett Holmstrom

Default Roadmap for Java things in Fedora

On Mar 7, 2012 7:54 AM, "Stanislav Ochotnicky" <sochotnicky@redhat.com> wrote:

> *- Remove mention of maven2 in guidelines since all supported versions

> * *have maven-3.x. Some other small cleanups as well perhaps

Is there already a separate set of java guidelines for EPEL? If there isn't does this mean we should create them?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Stanislav Ochotnicky

Quoting Garrett Holmstrom (2012-03-08 23:11:26)
>On Mar 7, 2012 7:54 AM, "Stanislav Ochotnicky" <sochotnicky@redhat.com>
>wrote:
>> - Remove mention of maven2 in guidelines since all supported versions
>> have maven-3.x. Some other small cleanups as well perhaps
>
>Is there already a separate set of java guidelines for EPEL? If there isn't
>does this mean we should create them?

I am not sure why maven2 part peaked your interest with regards to EPEL.
Maven 2 is not present there at all. There is in fact very little Java
world in EPEL and if someone wants to change that: Great! But heed my
warning: Unless you are one-man-packaging-army, you'll end up crazy old
man/woman before packaging anything useful.

As far as I am concerned: EPEL follows Fedora guidelines that existed at
the time when RHEL was branched off Fedora. So it might make sense to
freeze them in some state somewhere for posterity I guess, but I
wouldn't touch them (much)

PGP: 7B087241
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com

Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Aleksandar Kurtakov

> Quoting Garrett Holmstrom (2012-03-08 23:11:26)
> >On Mar 7, 2012 7:54 AM, "Stanislav Ochotnicky"
> ><sochotnicky@redhat.com>
> >wrote:
> >> - Remove mention of maven2 in guidelines since all supported
> >> versions
> >> have maven-3.x. Some other small cleanups as well perhaps
> >
> >Is there already a separate set of java guidelines for EPEL? If
> >there isn't
> >does this mean we should create them?
>
> I am not sure why maven2 part peaked your interest with regards to
> EPEL.
> Maven 2 is not present there at all. There is in fact very little
> Java
> world in EPEL and if someone wants to change that: Great! But heed my
> warning: Unless you are one-man-packaging-army, you'll end up crazy
> old
> man/woman before packaging anything useful.
>
> As far as I am concerned: EPEL follows Fedora guidelines that existed
> at
> the time when RHEL was branched off Fedora. So it might make sense to
> freeze them in some state somewhere for posterity I guess, but I
> wouldn't touch them (much)

There are a number of libraries available in RHEL 6 which should enable enhancing EPEL 6 substantionally as long as one don't depend on maven or is ready to either redo the package build system to use ant (mvn ant:ant might be your friend) or package Maven into EPEL 6 (this is something I think will be too much work). EPEL 5 should be out of question for almost everything java related as the java packaging changed a lot since RHEL 5 release.
P.S. This mail is too not discourage too much from working on EPEL .

Alex