Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Deepak Bhole

Default Package fixes/rebuilds for Java 7

Hi,

I have spent the last few days (on and off) trying to gather a list of
packages that need to be updated for Java 7 in rawhide. I have
identified 31 packages that fail to build (almost all trivial/easy to
fix), and some more that hard code a Java 6 requirement.

I have created a wiki page listing all the packages, the issues, and
how to fix them:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java7_Package_Rebuild_Status

It'd be great if everyone could please volunteer to fix some of them. If
you have ProvenPackager status and have time, please add your name to
the list of ProvenPackagers on that page so that those without access
can send you their fixes.

I will be applying for ProvenPackager status myself and will add my name
to that list if/when I get it.

Thanks,
Deepak

Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Dr Andrew John Hughes

On 18:01 Tue 10 Jan , Deepak Bhole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have spent the last few days (on and off) trying to gather a list of
> packages that need to be updated for Java 7 in rawhide. I have
> identified 31 packages that fail to build (almost all trivial/easy to
> fix), and some more that hard code a Java 6 requirement.
>
> I have created a wiki page listing all the packages, the issues, and
> how to fix them:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java7_Package_Rebuild_Status
>
> It'd be great if everyone could please volunteer to fix some of them. If
> you have ProvenPackager status and have time, please add your name to
> the list of ProvenPackagers on that page so that those without access
> can send you their fixes.
>
> I will be applying for ProvenPackager status myself and will add my name
> to that list if/when I get it.
>
> Thanks,
> Deepak

Any idea why gcj is on the BuildRequires update list? It seems surprising that
it needs java-1.6.0-openjdk when it's usually used to build OpenJDK.
--
Andrew

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F 8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07

Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Deepak Bhole

* Dr Andrew John Hughes <ahughes@redhat.com> [2012-01-11 15:16]:
> On 18:01 Tue 10 Jan , Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have spent the last few days (on and off) trying to gather a list of
> > packages that need to be updated for Java 7 in rawhide. I have
> > identified 31 packages that fail to build (almost all trivial/easy to
> > fix), and some more that hard code a Java 6 requirement.
> >
> > I have created a wiki page listing all the packages, the issues, and
> > how to fix them:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java7_Package_Rebuild_Status
> >
> > It'd be great if everyone could please volunteer to fix some of them. If
> > you have ProvenPackager status and have time, please add your name to
> > the list of ProvenPackagers on that page so that those without access
> > can send you their fixes.
> >
> > I will be applying for ProvenPackager status myself and will add my name
> > to that list if/when I get it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Deepak
> > --
>
> Any idea why gcj is on the BuildRequires update list? It seems surprising that
> it needs java-1.6.0-openjdk when it's usually used to build OpenJDK.

From the spec file at
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=java-1.5.0-gcj.git;a=blob_plain;f=java-1.5.0-gcj.spec;hb=2b5d8a99a3bd67ad799de05a75434fba3365c8 15:

* Thu Apr 3 2008 Thomas Fitzsimmons <fitzsim@redhat.com> - 1.5.0.0-21
- Require java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel for javadoc instead of sinjdoc.

Deepak

Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Ville Skyttä

On 2012-01-11 01:01, Deepak Bhole wrote:

> I have spent the last few days (on and off) trying to gather a list of
> packages that need to be updated for Java 7 in rawhide. I have
> identified 31 packages that fail to build (almost all trivial/easy to
> fix), and some more that hard code a Java 6 requirement.

Does this mean that there will be no Java 1.6.x implementation in F-17?
What about a Java 1.5.x implementation?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Deepak Bhole

* Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> [2012-01-11 15:59]:
> On 2012-01-11 01:01, Deepak Bhole wrote:
>
> > I have spent the last few days (on and off) trying to gather a list of
> > packages that need to be updated for Java 7 in rawhide. I have
> > identified 31 packages that fail to build (almost all trivial/easy to
> > fix), and some more that hard code a Java 6 requirement.
>
> Does this mean that there will be no Java 1.6.x implementation in F-17?

Hmmm.

Java 6 SE will be EOL'd in July 2012:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

I assume that OpenJDK6 will stop getting updated around the same time.

For transition, I had planned for java-1.6.0-openjdk to be in F17 and
have it provide "java6, java6-devel, etc." so as to ensure that it
doesn't get into the buildroot unless explicitly specified.

However with a July '12 EOL date, it sounds like it'd make more sense to
remove it from F17 completely.

> What about a Java 1.5.x implementation?

GCJ (java-1.5.0-gcj) will be available in F17.

Cheers,
Deepak

Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Deepak Bhole

* Deepak Bhole <dbhole@redhat.com> [2012-01-11 16:08]:
> * Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> [2012-01-11 15:59]:
> > On 2012-01-11 01:01, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> >
> > > I have spent the last few days (on and off) trying to gather a list of
> > > packages that need to be updated for Java 7 in rawhide. I have
> > > identified 31 packages that fail to build (almost all trivial/easy to
> > > fix), and some more that hard code a Java 6 requirement.
> >
> > Does this mean that there will be no Java 1.6.x implementation in F-17?
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Java 6 SE will be EOL'd in July 2012:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
>
> I assume that OpenJDK6 will stop getting updated around the same time.
>
> For transition, I had planned for java-1.6.0-openjdk to be in F17 and
> have it provide "java6, java6-devel, etc." so as to ensure that it
> doesn't get into the buildroot unless explicitly specified.
>
> However with a July '12 EOL date, it sounds like it'd make more sense to
> remove it from F17 completely.

I have removed all references to 6 being available from the Java7
feature page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7

Cheers,
Deepak