Old 12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Permaine Cheung

Default orphaning of packages

Hi,

As I don't have time to maintain the following packages that I own, it
would be great if someone more active can take over the ownership, I
have orphaned them:

adaptx -- AdaptX XSLT processor and XPath engine
ant -- Ant build tool for java
asm2 -- A code manipulation tool to implement adaptable systems
avalon-framework -- Java components interfaces
avalon-logkit -- Java logging toolkit
axis -- A SOAP implementation in Java
bcel -- Byte Code Engineering Library
bsf -- Bean Scripting Framework
bsh -- Lightweight Scripting for Java
castor -- An open source data binding framework for Java
concurrent -- Utility classes for concurrent Java programming
jakarta-commons-httpclient -- Jakarta Commons HTTPClient implements the
client side of HTTP standards
objectweb-anttask -- ObjectWeb Ant task
plexus-archiver -- Plexus Archiver Component
plexus-i18n -- Plexus I18N Component
tagsoup -- A SAX-compliant HTML parser written in Java
xmlunit -- Provides classes to do asserts on xml

Thanks to akurtakov, sochotni and others who have been helping in
maintaining these packages.

Cheers,
Permaine

Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Hi,

On 12/08/2011 04:33 PM, Permaine Cheung wrote:
> jakarta-commons-httpclient -- Jakarta Commons HTTPClient implements the

This should be removed anyway, since the client classes moved to
httpcomponents quite some time ago. There shouldn't be that many
packages that depend on jakarta-commons-httpclient anyway.

Regards, Chris

Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Orion Poplawski

On 12/08/2011 01:16 PM, spikefedora@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/08/2011 04:33 PM, Permaine Cheung wrote:
>> jakarta-commons-httpclient -- Jakarta Commons HTTPClient implements the
>
> This should be removed anyway, since the client classes moved to
> httpcomponents quite some time ago. There shouldn't be that many
> packages that depend on jakarta-commons-httpclient anyway.

# repoquery --whatrequires jakarta-commons-httpclient
apache-ivy-0:2.2.0-2.fc16.noarch
axis-0:1.4-8.fc15.noarch
eclipse-jdt-1:3.7.0-1.3.fc16.i686
eclipse-jdt-1:3.7.1-4.fc16.i686
eclipse-jdt-1:3.7.1-7.fc16.i686
fop-0:1.0-17.fc16.noarch
gooddata-cl-0:1.1.9-2.fc15.noarch
jakarta-commons-httpclient-demo-1:3.1-5.fc16.noarch
libreoffice-wiki-publisher-1:3.4.3.2-11.fc16.i686
libreoffice-wiki-publisher-1:3.4.3.2-15.fc16.i686
libreoffice-wiki-publisher-1:3.4.4.2-3.fc16.i686
libreoffice-wiki-publisher-1:3.4.4.2-5.fc16.i686
maven-changes-plugin-0:2.6-2.fc16.noarch
maven-wagon-0:1.0-0.3.b7.22.fc16.noarch
maven2-0:2.2.1-28.fc16.noarch
not-yet-commons-ssl-0:0.3.11-4.fc15.noarch
plexus-runtime-builder-0:1.0-0.6.a9.fc15.noarch
xmlrpc-0:2.0.1-10.fc15.noarch
xmlrpc3-client-0:3.1.3-5.fc15.noarch

Seems to be a few notable ones.

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
David Walluck

On 12/09/2011 02:00 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Seems to be a few notable ones.

What spike said is basically true. However, the APIs are not backwards
compatible, so simply adding a Provides to the httpclient packages isn't
enough to fix those packages. The package maintainers would have to
check/modify the code of their packages.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Hi,

On 12/09/2011 08:19 PM, David Walluck wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 02:00 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Seems to be a few notable ones.
>
> What spike said is basically true. However, the APIs are not backwards
> compatible, so simply adding a Provides to the httpclient packages isn't
> enough to fix those packages. The package maintainers would have to
> check/modify the code of their packages.

After having a look a the APIs, I have to admit that removing
commons-httpclient is probably not an option. They are not only not
backwards compatible, but in fact quite different. Replacing httpclient
with httpcomponent would require massive restructuring of code.

That's probably the basic dilemma of java packaging: Upstream projects
don't want to change because deprecated libraries still work fine and
are either bundled anyway or being pulled my maven etc.
So we have to keep and maintain a deprecated package
(commons-httpclient) to keep another deprecated package (maven2, xmlrpc)
and so on.

Regards, Chris