-   Fedora Development Java (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/)
-   -   Java 7 can't understand some chars (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/601012-java-7-cant-understand-some-chars.html)

Ismael Olea 11-21-2011 06:59 PM

Java 7 can't understand some chars

Hi:

I've updated OmegaT for F15 and F16[1] without novelty. But compiling in rawhide showed a strange to me error: «error: unmappable character for encoding ASCII»[2].

In a first approach the suspects were some strange coded chars (which 1.6 can eat, btw) but after patching them I found in local tests the same error with the*'ß' letter [3]. The file codification seems to be common UTF-8.

I'm not a programmer at all but this sounds _very_ weird to me. Is anybody aware if openjdk 1.7 has some bug related with UNICODE or similar? I didn't find anything like this in BZ. Any other idea?

[1]*http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=275068[2]*http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=3529868&name=build.log

[3] see*line 232 at*http://omegat.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/omegat/branches/release-2-3/src/org/omegat/filters2/latex/LatexFilter.java?revision=3760&view=markup#23*

--

Ismael Olea

http://olea.org/diario/

Deepak Bhole 11-21-2011 08:30 PM

Java 7 can't understand some chars

* Ismael Olea <ismael@olea.org> [2011-11-21 15:00]:
> Hi:
>
> I've updated OmegaT for F15 and F16[1] without novelty. But compiling
> in rawhide showed a strange to me error: «error: unmappable character
> for encoding ASCII»[2].
>
> In a first approach the suspects were some strange coded chars (which
> 1.6 can eat, btw) but after patching them I found in local tests the
> same error with the 'ß' letter [3]. The file codification seems to be
> common UTF-8.
>
> I'm not a programmer at all but this sounds _very_ weird to me. Is
> anybody aware if openjdk 1.7 has some bug related with UNICODE or
> similar? I didn't find anything like this in BZ. Any other idea?

Hi Ismael,

This is expected behaviour with Java 7. Until Java 6, encoding errors
were only presented as warnings. Now they are errors:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javac.html

"This is the default value. No language changes were introduced in Java
SE 6. However, encoding errors in source files are now reported as
errors, instead of warnings, as previously."

You can get around it by specifying -source 1.6, but fixing the source
is a better fix IMO.

Cheers,
Deepak

Ismael Olea 11-21-2011 10:50 PM

Java 7 can't understand some chars

This is expected behaviour with Java 7. Until Java 6, encoding errors

were only presented as warnings. Now they are errors:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javac.html

"This is the default value. No language changes were introduced in Java

SE 6. However, encoding errors in source files are now reported as

errors, instead of warnings, as previously."

Aha*
You can get around it by specifying -source 1.6, but fixing the source

is a better fix IMO.

Thanks for the tip! I fixed it[1]
btw,*which is the default encoding for openjdk?*

[1]*http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3530965

--

Ismael Olea

http://olea.org/diario/

Orion Poplawski 11-21-2011 11:03 PM

On 11/21/2011 02:30 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:

> This is expected behaviour with Java 7. Until Java 6, encoding errors
> were only presented as warnings. Now they are errors:
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javac.html
>
> "This is the default value. No language changes were introduced in Java
> SE 6. However, encoding errors in source files are now reported as
> errors, instead of warnings, as previously."
>
> You can get around it by specifying -source 1.6, but fixing the source
> is a better fix IMO.

How does one fix the source?

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Deepak Bhole 11-21-2011 11:36 PM

Java 7 can't understand some chars

* Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> [2011-11-21 19:04]:
> On 11/21/2011 02:30 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> >
> >This is expected behaviour with Java 7. Until Java 6, encoding errors
> >were only presented as warnings. Now they are errors:
> >
> >http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javac.html
> >
> >"This is the default value. No language changes were introduced in Java
> >SE 6. However, encoding errors in source files are now reported as
> >errors, instead of warnings, as previously."
> >
> >You can get around it by specifying -source 1.6, but fixing the source
> >is a better fix IMO.
>
> How does one fix the source?

By removing the encoding errors. The problem only occurs if there is an
error in the encoding i.e. file contains characters not defined by
that encoding.

Cheers,
Deepak

Deepak Bhole 11-21-2011 11:41 PM

Java 7 can't understand some chars

* Ismael Olea <ismael@olea.org> [2011-11-21 18:50]:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Deepak Bhole <[1]dbhole@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> This is expected behaviour with Java 7. Until Java 6, encoding
> errors
> were only presented as warnings. Now they are errors:
> [2]http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java
> c.html
> "This is the default value. No language changes were introduced in
> Java
> SE 6. However, encoding errors in source files are now reported as
> errors, instead of warnings, as previously."
>
> Aha
>
> You can get around it by specifying -source 1.6, but fixing the
> source
> is a better fix IMO.
>
> Thanks for the tip! I fixed it[1]
> btw, which is the default encoding for openjdk?

It is set by the system. You can check for it by printing the
file.encoding system property. On Fedora, it should default to UTF-8.

Cheers,
Deepak