Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Andy Grimm

Default Packaging partial projects

Hi, everyone.* I'm relatively new to the world of Java, Maven, etc., and trying to undertake a rather large packaging exercise -- packaging the dependencies for Eucalyptus.* I'm finding it relatively straightforward to build ant-based packages, but maven is proving to be a bit of "dependency hell" for various reasons.* In one case, I have a dependency on a single Jar from RHQ (http://rhq-project.org/) which is literally less than 80 lines of code.* I spent a few hours digging through maven dependencies and trying to disable various modules before giving up.* Writing a build.xml file to just compile and bundle the jar took about 5 minutes.* So the question is:* is this acceptable?* I would be taking a tiny bit of code from a huge project, packaging it (the rpm named as rhq-pluginAnnotation to be clear that it's just that piece) along with hand-created POM and /etc/maven/fragments/ files.* This is far from ideal, but the alternative seems to be to block on getting an entire JBossAS stack into Fedora so that I can use 80 lines of code.

Any advice that you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Andy

Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Alexander Kurtakov

On 13:45:27 Tuesday 23 August 2011 Andy Grimm wrote:
> Hi, everyone. I'm relatively new to the world of Java, Maven, etc., and
> trying to undertake a rather large packaging exercise -- packaging the
> dependencies for Eucalyptus. I'm finding it relatively straightforward to
> build ant-based packages, but maven is proving to be a bit of "dependency
> hell" for various reasons. In one case, I have a dependency on a single
> Jar from RHQ (http://rhq-project.org/) which is literally less than 80
> lines of code. I spent a few hours digging through maven dependencies and
> trying to disable various modules before giving up. Writing a build.xml
> file to just compile and bundle the jar took about 5 minutes. So the
> question is: is this acceptable? I would be taking a tiny bit of code
> from a huge project, packaging it (the rpm named as rhq-pluginAnnotation
> to be clear that it's just that piece) along with hand-created POM and
> /etc/maven/fragments/ files. This is far from ideal, but the alternative
> seems to be to block on getting an entire JBossAS stack into Fedora so
> that I can use 80 lines of code.

There is https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JBossAS7 in case you have time to do
few reviews and speed up the process.
Creating partial packages is generally acceptable but not recommended. Naming
in a way that clearly shows it's just a single piece is mandatory. Building
using upstream method is something that I insist on whenever possible unless
there is an unresolvable problem given.
Can you tell us details about what you need, how is the build failing and
etc.?
If you join #fedora-java on freenode we can speed up the process.

Alexander Kurtakov