Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Richard Fearn

Default Building against java-1.5.0-gcj-devel instead of java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel

Hi,

I'm building jcip-annotations for x86_64 rawhide using mock on my F14
x86_64 laptop. The package BuildRequires java-devel >= 1.5.0 and
java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel is being installed to satisfy that
dependency.

When requesting a scratch build, such as this one:

java-1.5.0-gcj-devel is installed instead. Anyone know why? I expected
the latest version to be used for the Koji build.

Also, has anyone noticed that the GCJ javadoc produces an empty
package-list file? For example, this recent build of jcip-annotations:

resulted in this rpmlint output:

http://autoqa.fedoraproject.org/results/32774-autotest/qa02.c.fedoraproject.org/rpmlint/results/output.log

Note the "zero-length
/usr/share/javadoc/jcip-annotations/package-list" error. That file
should contain "net.jcip.annotations".

Regards,

Rich

Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Mat Booth

On 30 December 2010 18:05, Orion Poplawski <orion@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 10:57 AM, Richard Fearn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm building jcip-annotations for x86_64 rawhide using mock on my F14
>> x86_64 laptop. The package BuildRequires java-devel>= 1.5.0 and
>> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel is being installed to satisfy that
>> dependency.
>>
>> When requesting a scratch build, such as this one:
>>
>> * *http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2694190
>>
>> java-1.5.0-gcj-devel is installed instead. Anyone know why? I expected
>> the latest version to be used for the Koji build.
>
> I think it is because yum uses package name length in this case (for lack of
> any better information) to pick between java-1.5.0-gcj-devel and
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel. *They both satisfy java-devel >= 1.5.0 so in theory
> either should be fine.

Orion is right in that either should be fine because both satisfy that
requirement, but I too have found javadoc generation to be
particularly flakey with GCJ.

In order to work around this, I think it is ok to BuildRequire
java-devel >= 1:1.6.0 as long as you build with source=1.5 and
target=1.5.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora