Old 11-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Sander Hoentjen

Default Fedora java packaging, icedtea vs gcj

Hi all,

There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?

Regards,
Sander

Old 11-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Andrew Haley

Sander Hoentjen writes:

> There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
> compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?

It would be better to avoid that. Why won't it compile with gcj?

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903

Old 11-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Andrew Overholt

Hi,

* Sander Hoentjen <sander@hoentjen.eu> [2007-11-25 09:37]:

> There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
> compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?

Ideally things would build with gcj and be usable on all arches, but I
don't think Fedora has a policy of excluding IcedTea-only packages.
Does anyone know if we've come up with a policy?

Andrew

Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Andrew Haley

Andrew Overholt writes:
> Hi,
>
> * Sander Hoentjen <sander@hoentjen.eu> [2007-11-25 09:37]:
> >
> > There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
> > compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?
>
> Ideally things would build with gcj and be usable on all arches, but I
> don't think Fedora has a policy of excluding IcedTea-only packages.
> Does anyone know if we've come up with a policy?

We shouldn't need one. Lat's first try to find out what the problem
actually is.

Andrew.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Sander Hoentjen

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 16:55 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Sander Hoentjen writes:
> >
> > There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
> > compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?
>
> It would be better to avoid that. Why won't it compile with gcj?

The method getMousePosition() is undefined for the type Component
So.. how much better is it to avoid it? Do I have to patch the whole
program to not use that function (I don't know if I can do it), or
should I just go for icedtea?

Sander

Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Andrew Haley

Sander Hoentjen writes:
> On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 16:55 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > Sander Hoentjen writes:
> > >
> > > There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
> > > compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?
> >
> > It would be better to avoid that. Why won't it compile with gcj?
>
> The method getMousePosition() is undefined for the type Component
> So.. how much better is it to avoid it? Do I have to patch the whole
> program to not use that function (I don't know if I can do it), or
> should I just go for icedtea?

Ah, okay, this is a method that is new since Java 1.5.

While we can make your package depend on IcedTea if there is
absolutely no way to avoid doing so, it would be better either to fix
libgcj or to fix your program so as to avoid getMousePosition().
Fixing libgcj looks pretty trivial: Component.getMousePosition()
simply calls MouseInfo.getPointerInfo() and adjusts the info relative
to the co-ordinates of its own window.

Calling Classpath AWT mainatainers: can anyone catch this?

Thanks,
Andrew.