Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Colin Zwiebel

Default Oct 8th - Etherpad FAD at Olin College! (Outside Boston, MA)

Oct 8th starting 5pm - Oct 9th

We're holding a Hackathon / Fedora Activity Day at Olin College in Needham, MA!

Etherpad is open source software for teams to type together on the same document.*Join a team of students, alumni, and Fedora Linux hackers as we improve Etherpad for ourselves and the world!

Cut to the chase: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD

== What is EtherPad? ==

Etherpad is pretty much the pinnacle of online, collaborative text editing. If you're not familiar with EtherPad, take a look at this video.

== Backstory ==EtherPad was acquired by Google in 2008 and the code was open-sourced (yay!). Buuut the EtherPad code-base isn't exactly in a packageable state, as demonstrated by SDZ, here. (SDZ is an Olin student!)

Thus we plan to:* Repackage EtherPad in a consistent, portable way, more best-practice form* Create compliant, Fedora packages for EtherPad* Setup EtherPad instance on Fedora Infrastructure (infrastructure managers, sorry, quietly stop choking and shoot me an email so I can explain Fud + EtherPad = awesome and discuss how to go about that)

* Teach non-Propeller-heads about OSS development and the technologies used

== When? ==** Friday, October 8th - Saturday, October 9th **

(and maybe early Sunday if we get some of the no-sleep crowd).Dinner on Friday. Dinner and lunch Saturday.
Can attend in person?*Remotely*join us! See the wiki.

== Us ? ==Andy, Sebastian and I are Olin College students and long-time linux users, and total EtherPad fanboy. We would love to give back to all three of these communities and help people get*involved*in open source software.

Finally, there is generally just a lot of cool technical stuff inside EtherPad? Server-side-JS? Scala? Comet? Collaborative diffing? Web-service architecture? Your totally welcome to come and geek out on these topics, and maybe learn a thing or two about how EtherPad works.

Check us out on the wiki and twitter:https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FADhttp://twitter.com/olinetherpadfad

Cheers,Colin, Sebastian, Andy

P.S. You've probably never heard of Olin College, but you shouldtotally look at the crazy higher-ed experiment we're running:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olin_college