Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Mat Booth

Default ideas for small student projects?

On 8 September 2010 15:02, Peter Liu <Peter.Liu@senecac.on.ca> wrote:
> Hi, Java-Fedora developers.
>
> I'm new to this community. I teach Java programming at Seneca College,
> Toronto, Canada.
> I'm thinking of creating small student projects such that the students can
> get some tasks done
> for the Java-Fedora project. The students will have the knowledge of* Java
> packages, JUnit testing,
> Swing programming, RMI and JDBC. They also have C++ programming experience.
> Right now I only have a very vague idea - QA-related tasks.
> I will appreciate it very much if some of you can give me some pointers and
> advice.
> Thanks!
>
> Peter Liu.

I'm not sure that we do much Java programming at the Fedora project,
but several of us are involved in upstream projects, which is where
the real work is done. In Fedora itself we are mostly involved with
packaging. See the package maintainer's portal [1] and the (newly
formed) Java SIG [2] to see what your students can do to help.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Java

Regards,
Mat

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Alexander Kurtakov

> Hi, Java-Fedora developers.

Hi Peter,
We can get some help with Eclipse Fedora Packager. See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Eclipse_Fedora_Packager_User_Guide for details
about usage. Project site is https://fedorahosted.org/eclipse-fedorapackager/
(a bit empty still) and source code is available in git
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=eclipse-fedorapackager.git.
It would be really nice if we can get some junit tests for it. I also have
some ideas for improvements like extending the plugin so packagers can
push/edit already created updates but the easiest way for someone to get
familiar with the code is to use the plugin and write some unit tests for it.

Let me know if you want to talk more about this idea,
Alex