-   Fedora Development Java (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/)
-   -   orienting question (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development-java/253264-orienting-question.html)

Mike Carifio 02-26-2009 06:33 PM

orienting question

I'm trying to understand what I actually get when I install openjdk and
openjdk-devel on fc10. Is there a document that describes what's where
and why?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Directory_structure gives
some hints, but it's more mechanical. For example:

1) What's JAVA_HOME, if I wanted to set it?

2) What's the default classpath when I run java?

3) Is jpackage the preferred way to install third party jars? What if
jpackage doesn't have what I want? Do I do it by hand? Where do I put it?

4) Maven (and ivy too) do a good job of chasing dependencies among jars.
How does that work, if at all, with openjdk on fc10.

Thanks.

Andrew Overholt 02-26-2009 08:22 PM

orienting question

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:33 -0500, Mike Carifio wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what I actually get when I install openjdk and
> openjdk-devel on fc10. Is there a document that describes what's where
> and why?
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Directory_structure gives
> some hints, but it's more mechanical. For example:
>
> 1) What's JAVA_HOME, if I wanted to set it?

/usr/lib/jvm/java

> 2) What's the default classpath when I run java?

Good question. OpenJDK team?

> 3) Is jpackage the preferred way to install third party jars? What if
> jpackage doesn't have what I want? Do I do it by hand? Where do I put it?

Ideally everything would be in Fedora. JPackage can't guarantee
compatibility with Fedora and Fedora can't guarantee compatibility with
JPackage. However, installing things from JPackage will hopefully work
for most cases. As for Fedora or JPackage not having it, it's sort of
up to you. If you want to put it some place like an RPM would put it,
you could follow the packaging guidelines:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java

Or, even better, you could package it up! :) If you see things that
are missing the guidelines, please let us know.

> 4) Maven (and ivy too) do a good job of chasing dependencies among jars.
> How does that work, if at all, with openjdk on fc10.

RPMs have their own dependency layer. Deepak (CC'd) has done a lot of
work to ensure that maven builds work in the "RPM way". I'll let him
explain.

HTH,

Andrew

Andrew Overholt 02-26-2009 09:00 PM

orienting question

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:01 -0500, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> Since Fedora builds need to be
> offline, and in most cases, have only one version of any given module,
> we patch maven in Fedora to work nice with those restrictions.

Using maven like one would with an upstream binary still works though,
right?

Andrew

Deepak Bhole 02-26-2009 09:01 PM

orienting question

* Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> [2009-02-26 16:25]:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:33 -0500, Mike Carifio wrote:
> > I'm trying to understand what I actually get when I install openjdk and
> > openjdk-devel on fc10. Is there a document that describes what's where
> > and why?
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Directory_structure gives
> > some hints, but it's more mechanical. For example:
> >
> > 1) What's JAVA_HOME, if I wanted to set it?
>
> /usr/lib/jvm/java
>
> > 2) What's the default classpath when I run java?
>
> Good question. OpenJDK team?

What do you mean by default classpath when you run java? When you run
java, you are invoking the java binary directly. Since there is no
wrapper involved, the only classes loaded are those that are loaded by
the boot loader from jre/lib directory of JAVA_HOME

> > 3) Is jpackage the preferred way to install third party jars? What if
> > jpackage doesn't have what I want? Do I do it by hand? Where do I put it?
>
> Ideally everything would be in Fedora. JPackage can't guarantee
> compatibility with Fedora and Fedora can't guarantee compatibility with
> JPackage. However, installing things from JPackage will hopefully work
> for most cases. As for Fedora or JPackage not having it, it's sort of
> up to you. If you want to put it some place like an RPM would put it,
> you could follow the packaging guidelines:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java
>
> Or, even better, you could package it up! :) If you see things that
> are missing the guidelines, please let us know.
>
> > 4) Maven (and ivy too) do a good job of chasing dependencies among jars.
> > How does that work, if at all, with openjdk on fc10.
>
> RPMs have their own dependency layer. Deepak (CC'd) has done a lot of
> work to ensure that maven builds work in the "RPM way". I'll let him
> explain.

Maven is designed to work in a networked environment where it has access
to multiple versions of the same modules. Since Fedora builds need to be
offline, and in most cases, have only one version of any given module,
we patch maven in Fedora to work nice with those restrictions. Packaging
for maven builds in Fedora involves 1) supplying a "dependency map" of
how a group/artifactid matches to a file on system, and 2) calling the
mvn-jpp wrapper script. Details are for packaging are th maven here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/JPPMavenReadme

Cheers,
Deepak

Deepak Bhole 02-26-2009 09:06 PM

orienting question

* Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> [2009-02-26 17:04]:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 17:01 -0500, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > Since Fedora builds need to be
> > offline, and in most cases, have only one version of any given module,
> > we patch maven in Fedora to work nice with those restrictions.
>
> Using maven like one would with an upstream binary still works though,
> right?

Oh yeah! If you just just 'mvn' instead of the mvn-jpp wrapper, it works
exactly like upstream maven.

Deepak