Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Jack Tanner

Default [fedora-java] eclipse and icedtea in f8

What are the plans for updating Eclipse and IcedTea in F8? Are they going to
stay at their current releases, 3.3.0 and -b21, respectively, or will they get
updates? Of course, 3.3.1.1 and -b23 are already out.

I ask because I'm running into some crashes with 3.3.0 on -b21. I could try to
file bugs, but it seems like a waste of everyone's time to file bugs against old
releases.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Jack Tanner <ihok@hotmail.com> [2007-11-21 14:15]:
> What are the plans for updating Eclipse and IcedTea in F8? Are they going to
> stay at their current releases, 3.3.0 and -b21, respectively, or will they get
> updates? Of course, 3.3.1.1 and -b23 are already out.

I can't speak for IcedTea, but 3.3.1.1 would already be available in
Fedora if it weren't for stupid ppc64 build issues I think I'm
almost there, though.

> I ask because I'm running into some crashes with 3.3.0 on -b21. I could try to
> file bugs, but it seems like a waste of everyone's time to file bugs against old
> releases.

PermGen issues? Try moving eclipse.ini from /usr/share/eclipse to
/usr/lib (or lib64)/eclipse and making it look something like this (the
last line is key):

-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx256m
--XX:MaxPermSize=128m

HTH,

Andrew

Old 11-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Mario Torre

Il giorno mer, 21/11/2007 alle 15.12 -0500, Andrew Overholt ha scritto:
> --XX:MaxPermSize=128m

I've added this to my eclipse launcher in the gnome panel

eclipse -vmargs -Xms512m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xmx512m

Since then, I've not seen anymore crashes nor problems of any other
kind.

Hope that helps,
Mario
--
Lima Software - http://www.limasoftware.net/
GNU Classpath Developer - http://www.classpath.org/

Please, support open standards:
http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Mario Torre <neugens@limasoftware.net> [2007-11-21 15:22]:

> Il giorno mer, 21/11/2007 alle 15.12 -0500, Andrew Overholt ha scritto:
> > --XX:MaxPermSize=128m
>
> I've added this to my eclipse launcher in the gnome panel
>
> eclipse -vmargs -Xms512m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xmx512m

Yeah, although your options are slightly different, eclipse.ini achieves
the same thing. The problem is that the defaults weren't being read
because they were in /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse.ini when they should
have been in /usr/lib{64}/eclipse/eclipse.ini. A forthcoming 3.3.1.1
update will fix the defaults.

Andrew