Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Andrew Haley

Default which compiler to use for java packages

Farkas Levente wrote:

> what is the current preferred compiler to use in java packages in
> fedora? for me it seems mot of the java package still use gcj while
> openjdk is incuded in the distro. gcj has has the advantage to be able
> to use on rhel/epel too, while openjdk can compile 1.6 code. but suppose
> we've got an 1.5 code what compiler should have to use in rawhide packages?
> thanks.

You can normally just depend on java-devel unless your package depends on
some special capabilities of one or the other. If you need compatibility
with a very particular version of java you can explicitly depend on it,
but I'd have to question why.

Andrew.