Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default aot-compile-rpm error

Trying to build eclipse-photran:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=791458&name=build.log

+ aot-compile-rpm
/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
aot-compile-rpm: error: /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool -p: unexpected output

?

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Gary Benson

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Trying to build eclipse-photran:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=791458&name=build.log
>
> + aot-compile-rpm
> /usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
> aot-compile-rpm: error: /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool -p: unexpected output
>
> ?

It looks like gcj-dbtool printed its result on stderr instead of
stdout, so aot-compile-rpm read nothing from it. Did something
change in gcj-dbtool?

Cheers,
Gary

--
http://gbenson.net/

Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Andrew Haley

Gary Benson wrote:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> Trying to build eclipse-photran:
>>
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=791458&name=build.log
>>
>> + aot-compile-rpm
>> /usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
>> aot-compile-rpm: error: /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool -p: unexpected output
>>
>> ?
>
> It looks like gcj-dbtool printed its result on stderr instead of
> stdout, so aot-compile-rpm read nothing from it. Did something
> change in gcj-dbtool?

No. If there's a message on stderr, it's an error message. We
need to know what that error message is. I just ptrace'd gcj-dbtool
in gcj 4.3.1 and got

[pid 23950] write(1, "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db"..., 33/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
) = 33

Andrew.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Gary Benson

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Gary Benson wrote:
> > Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > > Trying to build eclipse-photran:
> > >
> > > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=791458&name=build.log
> > >
> > > + aot-compile-rpm
> > > /usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
> > > aot-compile-rpm: error: /usr/bin/gcj-dbtool -p: unexpected output
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > It looks like gcj-dbtool printed its result on stderr instead of
> > stdout, so aot-compile-rpm read nothing from it. Did something
> > change in gcj-dbtool?
>
> No. If there's a message on stderr, it's an error message. We
> need to know what that error message is. I just ptrace'd gcj-dbtool
> in gcj 4.3.1 and got
>
> [pid 23950] write(1, "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db"..., 33/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
> ) = 33

The only other thing I can think of then is that Python's os.popen()
didn't capture stdout properly. There's nothing in aot-compile-rpm
itself that would write "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db" to either
stdout or stderr.

Cheers,
Gary

--
http://gbenson.net/

Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Andrew Haley

Gary Benson wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Gary Benson wrote:

>>> It looks like gcj-dbtool printed its result on stderr instead of
>>> stdout, so aot-compile-rpm read nothing from it. Did something
>>> change in gcj-dbtool?
>> No. If there's a message on stderr, it's an error message. We
>> need to know what that error message is. I just ptrace'd gcj-dbtool
>> in gcj 4.3.1 and got
>>
>> [pid 23950] write(1, "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db"..., 33/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db
>> ) = 33
>
> The only other thing I can think of then is that Python's os.popen()
> didn't capture stdout properly. There's nothing in aot-compile-rpm
> itself that would write "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db" to either
> stdout or stderr.

Yeah. We need to strace aot-compile-rpm at this point to see what it's
doing. Orion, is there some way I can logon to this box?

Andrew.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Orion Poplawski

Andrew Haley wrote:

Gary Benson wrote:

The only other thing I can think of then is that Python's os.popen()
didn't capture stdout properly. There's nothing in aot-compile-rpm
itself that would write "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db" to either
stdout or stderr.

Yeah. We need to strace aot-compile-rpm at this point to see what it's
doing. Orion, is there some way I can logon to this box?

This is probably the popen() broken on xen kernels bug. I'll resubmit
my build.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Andrew Haley

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Gary Benson wrote:
>>> The only other thing I can think of then is that Python's os.popen()
>>> didn't capture stdout properly. There's nothing in aot-compile-rpm
>>> itself that would write "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db" to either
>>> stdout or stderr.
>>
>> Yeah. We need to strace aot-compile-rpm at this point to see what it's
>> doing. Orion, is there some way I can logon to this box?
>
> This is probably the popen() broken on xen kernels bug.

Ah. This seems very likely! :-)

Andrew.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Gary Benson

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > Andrew Haley wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah. We need to strace aot-compile-rpm at this point to see
> > > what it's doing. Orion, is there some way I can logon to this
> > > box?
> >
> > This is probably the popen() broken on xen kernels bug.
>
> Ah. This seems very likely! :-)

Quite

--
http://gbenson.net/

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Orion Poplawski

Orion Poplawski wrote:

Andrew Haley wrote:

Gary Benson wrote:

The only other thing I can think of then is that Python's os.popen()
didn't capture stdout properly. There's nothing in aot-compile-rpm
itself that would write "/usr/lib64/gcj-4.3.1/classmap.db" to either
stdout or stderr.

Yeah. We need to strace aot-compile-rpm at this point to see what it's
doing. Orion, is there some way I can logon to this box?

This is probably the popen() broken on xen kernels bug. I'll resubmit
my build.

Build worked today.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Gary Benson

Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > Andrew Haley wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah. We need to strace aot-compile-rpm at this point to see
> > > what it's doing. Orion, is there some way I can logon to this
> > > box?
> >
> > This is probably the popen() broken on xen kernels bug. I'll
> > resubmit my build.
>
> Build worked today.

Excellent, thanks.

Cheers,