FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Robert Marcano
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:07 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally got version 3.4 of the Eclipse SDK ready to go, targetting
> Fedora 10:
>

Good news, looks like the Subversive plugin still is not part of the
base platform like CVS, I am maintaining the subclipse package but it
had not much activity recently. ummmm maybe I should try it.

is someone working on packaging another Ganymede subprojects? just
yesterday I had to install as a requirement for m2eclipse (Maven
integration plugins needed to work with JBoss EJB3 sources from
eclipse), and I do not like any non OS updater :-). I remember that EMF
was previously packaged


> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=58121
>
> (See [1] for an in-progress build with some minor fixes.)
>
> Action item for plugin package maintainers:
> -------------------------------------------
> Please look at the relevant attached patches and apply them or something
> like them in the devel directory of your plugin(s). Feel free to commit
> and tag but note that you won't be able to build until I tag the build
> for rawhide.
>
> Email me personally if you have questions. Please also let me know when
> you're finished and I can do koji builds of everything in the right
> order (chain-build or otherwise). I'd like to do this very soon so
> please take a few minutes to apply the changes.
>
> Testing of the above build is greatly appreciated.
> -------------------------------------------
>
> There are a few minor changes for packagers of plugins/features:
>
> - Bits are now installed to %{_libdir}/eclipse instead of
> %{_datadir}/eclipse. This brings us in line with upstream's file layout
> and avoids the crazy split-install osgi.sharedConfiguration.area hack.
> It's also what Debian does, FWIW.
>
> - p2 is the new provisioning platform in 3.4. Essentially it replaces the
> old update manager but does other things as well. It requires
> Eclipse-based apps to use profiles -- like Mozilla profiles -- and manage
> them using its "director". In order to avoid fragile %post scriptlets,
> we're going to use the "dropins mechanism" for plugin installation. This
> means that all non-Eclipse platform plugins will be installed into their
> own directory under %{_libdir}/eclipse/dropins. There are a variety of
> layouts that are acceptable to p2, but we'll largely be going with
> dropins/eclipse/<short name>/{plugins,features}. This has the nice side
> benefit of simplifying %files sections . See [2] for more
> information here.
>
> - I added a flag to the pdebuild script to allow for Orbit-style
> dependencies. If you don't know what this means, that's okay, but if
> a plugin you want to package uses Orbit dependencies, you'll want to
> use the -o flag to pdebuild. Plugins that use non-Eclipse JARs but
> don't have a lib directory with JARs are probably using Orbit-style
> dependencies. They'll have Require-Bundle or Import-Package entries
> in their plugin MANIFEST.MFs. See eclipse-mylyn for an example of how
> to use pdebuild in this case.
>
> - I've renamed (and Obsoleted/Provided) libswt3-gtk2 to eclipse-swt. I
> can't count the number of times people have been confused by this
> naming and since we're not going to ship swt2 or swt.motif any time
> soon, the naming is silly. I also folded pde-runtime into pde since
> PHPEclipse no longer needs the separate pde-runtime package.
>
> Outside of the CDT and the SELinux tools (both maintainers are working on
> the necessary changes themselves), I've got patches for all of the plugins
> we have as packages in Fedora. I've attached these patches and CC'd all of
> the maintainers.
>
> I will update the packaging guidelines very soon with the above
> information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
>
> [1]
> Build with branding fixed and removing some unnecessary Requires(post)
> and the pde-runtime package which is now folded into pde:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=750696
>
> [2]
> There are some performance considerations here. Since it's generating
> the associated metadata and "provisioning" the bits on the fly based on
> files dropped into a directory, users may notice a slightly longer
> startup the first time they start the Eclipse IDE after installing a new
> plugin package. Subsequent startups won't be impacted. There is a lot
> of performance improvement work going on upstream and much of it will
> land in 3.4.1. If 3.4.1 is released early enough, we'll ship it in
> Fedora 10. If not, we can ship it as an update. Should testing between
> now and Fedora 10 show unacceptably poor performance (I haven't noticed
> this in my own testing), we can look at back-porting some of the
> performance work. The other main way of speeding up dropins-installed
> plugins is by shipping pre-generated p2 metadata (like yum metadata).
> I've experimented with this and think I can make it so that we
> transparently generate it via pdebuild meaning it would only require a
> rebuild of Fedora plugin packages. Things will work without these
> generated content.xml files so in the interest of getting testing sooner
> rather than later, I'm going to push ahead without the metadata for
> dropins.

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Robert Marcano
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:02 -0430, Robert Marcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:07 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've finally got version 3.4 of the Eclipse SDK ready to go, targetting
> > Fedora 10:
> >
>
> Good news, looks like the Subversive plugin still is not part of the
> base platform like CVS, I am maintaining the subclipse package but it
> had not much activity recently. ummmm maybe I should try it.

ooop my mistake , subclipse is at 1.4.3 and I have packaged 1.2.4, the
last time I checked it was at 1.4.2, (and 1.2.4 != 1.4.2 I need glasses)

>
> is someone working on packaging another Ganymede subprojects? just
> yesterday I had to install as a requirement for m2eclipse (Maven
> integration plugins needed to work with JBoss EJB3 sources from
> eclipse), and I do not like any non OS updater :-). I remember that EMF
> was previously packaged
>
>
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=58121
> >
> > (See [1] for an in-progress build with some minor fixes.)
> >
> > Action item for plugin package maintainers:
> > -------------------------------------------
> > Please look at the relevant attached patches and apply them or something
> > like them in the devel directory of your plugin(s). Feel free to commit
> > and tag but note that you won't be able to build until I tag the build
> > for rawhide.
> >
> > Email me personally if you have questions. Please also let me know when
> > you're finished and I can do koji builds of everything in the right
> > order (chain-build or otherwise). I'd like to do this very soon so
> > please take a few minutes to apply the changes.
> >
> > Testing of the above build is greatly appreciated.
> > -------------------------------------------
> >
> > There are a few minor changes for packagers of plugins/features:
> >
> > - Bits are now installed to %{_libdir}/eclipse instead of
> > %{_datadir}/eclipse. This brings us in line with upstream's file layout
> > and avoids the crazy split-install osgi.sharedConfiguration.area hack.
> > It's also what Debian does, FWIW.
> >
> > - p2 is the new provisioning platform in 3.4. Essentially it replaces the
> > old update manager but does other things as well. It requires
> > Eclipse-based apps to use profiles -- like Mozilla profiles -- and manage
> > them using its "director". In order to avoid fragile %post scriptlets,
> > we're going to use the "dropins mechanism" for plugin installation. This
> > means that all non-Eclipse platform plugins will be installed into their
> > own directory under %{_libdir}/eclipse/dropins. There are a variety of
> > layouts that are acceptable to p2, but we'll largely be going with
> > dropins/eclipse/<short name>/{plugins,features}. This has the nice side
> > benefit of simplifying %files sections . See [2] for more
> > information here.
> >
> > - I added a flag to the pdebuild script to allow for Orbit-style
> > dependencies. If you don't know what this means, that's okay, but if
> > a plugin you want to package uses Orbit dependencies, you'll want to
> > use the -o flag to pdebuild. Plugins that use non-Eclipse JARs but
> > don't have a lib directory with JARs are probably using Orbit-style
> > dependencies. They'll have Require-Bundle or Import-Package entries
> > in their plugin MANIFEST.MFs. See eclipse-mylyn for an example of how
> > to use pdebuild in this case.
> >
> > - I've renamed (and Obsoleted/Provided) libswt3-gtk2 to eclipse-swt. I
> > can't count the number of times people have been confused by this
> > naming and since we're not going to ship swt2 or swt.motif any time
> > soon, the naming is silly. I also folded pde-runtime into pde since
> > PHPEclipse no longer needs the separate pde-runtime package.
> >
> > Outside of the CDT and the SELinux tools (both maintainers are working on
> > the necessary changes themselves), I've got patches for all of the plugins
> > we have as packages in Fedora. I've attached these patches and CC'd all of
> > the maintainers.
> >
> > I will update the packaging guidelines very soon with the above
> > information.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > [1]
> > Build with branding fixed and removing some unnecessary Requires(post)
> > and the pde-runtime package which is now folded into pde:
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=750696
> >
> > [2]
> > There are some performance considerations here. Since it's generating
> > the associated metadata and "provisioning" the bits on the fly based on
> > files dropped into a directory, users may notice a slightly longer
> > startup the first time they start the Eclipse IDE after installing a new
> > plugin package. Subsequent startups won't be impacted. There is a lot
> > of performance improvement work going on upstream and much of it will
> > land in 3.4.1. If 3.4.1 is released early enough, we'll ship it in
> > Fedora 10. If not, we can ship it as an update. Should testing between
> > now and Fedora 10 show unacceptably poor performance (I haven't noticed
> > this in my own testing), we can look at back-porting some of the
> > performance work. The other main way of speeding up dropins-installed
> > plugins is by shipping pre-generated p2 metadata (like yum metadata).
> > I've experimented with this and think I can make it so that we
> > transparently generate it via pdebuild meaning it would only require a
> > rebuild of Fedora plugin packages. Things will work without these
> > generated content.xml files so in the interest of getting testing sooner
> > rather than later, I'm going to push ahead without the metadata for
> > dropins.
>
> --
> fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
> fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Andrew Overholt
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

Hi,

* Robert Marcano <robert@marcanoonline.com> [2008-07-31 15:33]:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:07 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've finally got version 3.4 of the Eclipse SDK ready to go, targetting
> > Fedora 10:
>
> Good news, looks like the Subversive plugin still is not part of the
> base platform like CVS, I am maintaining the subclipse package but it
> had not much activity recently. ummmm maybe I should try it.

I have never had any luck with Subversive due to the lack of
easily-installed ssh-agent integration. Your subclipse package has
always treated me well Thanks for maintaining it!

> is someone working on packaging another Ganymede subprojects?

I maintain Mylyn and we also have the CDT but I think that may be it
among the Ganymede projects. I'd like to think it's not that hard to
package plugins these days. Hopefully the 'stubby' project at the Linux
distros project (eclipse.org) will help in the future.

> I remember that EMF was previously packaged

Yeah, I used to do this but didn't have time to do the work required
when they re-organized upstream.

Andrew

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Mark Phippard
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

Robert Marcano <robert@...> writes:

>
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:02 -0430, Robert Marcano wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:07 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've finally got version 3.4 of the Eclipse SDK ready to go, targetting
> > > Fedora 10:
> > >
> >
> > Good news, looks like the Subversive plugin still is not part of the
> > base platform like CVS, I am maintaining the subclipse package but it
> > had not much activity recently. ummmm maybe I should try it.
>
> ooop my mistake , subclipse is at 1.4.3 and I have packaged 1.2.4, the
> last time I checked it was at 1.4.2, (and 1.2.4 != 1.4.2 I need glasses)

1.4.2 is the current "release". 1.4.3 will be out fairly soon though.

The architecture has changed quite a bit with 1.4.x. Email us at
dev@subclipse.tigris.org if you have troubles packaging it. In theory the
changes should give quite a lot of new flexibility.

Mark

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 AM
"Mat Booth"
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

Thanks for all your excellent work Andrew, I was just wondering the
other day what the plan for 3.4 was...

I will get my plugins sorted at the weekend.


On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Robert Marcano <robert@marcanoonline.com> [2008-07-31 15:33]:
>> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 15:07 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've finally got version 3.4 of the Eclipse SDK ready to go, targetting
>> > Fedora 10:
>> is someone working on packaging another Ganymede subprojects?
>> I remember that EMF was previously packaged
>
> Yeah, I used to do this but didn't have time to do the work required
> when they re-organized upstream.
>
> Andrew


I've been meaning to have a go at repackaging the EMF because I'd
really like to eventually get the WebTools and DataTools platforms
into Fedora. I've been mostly waiting to see what version of Eclipse
will go into F10 (as I'm lazy and didn't want to package more than one
version). I don't know of any one else working on it if you fancied
sharing the workload, Robert. ;-)


--
Mat Booth
www.matbooth.co.uk

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Andrew Overholt
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

I forgot a few things:

- If you want your plugin to be noarch, just put the files into
%{_datadir}/eclipse/{plugins,features} directly. I've added a link
file in %{_libdir}/eclipse/links pointing to the arch-independent
location in the currently-proceeding Eclipse build. eclipse-mylyn
has been updated to this layout if anyone wants to see an example.

- If you want to test before 3.4 hits rawhide, do something like this:

yum --enablerepo=rawhide install icu4j-eclipse jsch jetty
jakarta-commons-{el,logging}
tomcat5-jasper-eclipse lucene{,-contrib} sat4j objectweb-asm

and then rpm -Uvh eclipse-3.4.0-*.rpm with the RPMs you downloaded from
koji.

I'll be AFK until Tuesday but I think the currently-building SDK should
be pretty good for most people and I've got Mylyn and the CDT set in
CVS.

Thanks and have a good weekend,

Andrew

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 08-02-2008, 03:38 AM
"Andrew Myers"
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

I was hoping to use 3.4 with the Web Tools Platform but I am not sure
how to do it. Is it possible?

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 08-02-2008, 05:17 AM
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

Thanks Andrew, it's looking good.

Quoting Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com>:

- If you want your plugin to be noarch, just put the files into
%{_datadir}/eclipse/{plugins,features} directly. I've added a link
file in %{_libdir}/eclipse/links pointing to the arch-independent
location in the currently-proceeding Eclipse build. eclipse-mylyn
has been updated to this layout if anyone wants to see an example.


Is there any chance of supporting
%{_datadir}/eclipse/dropins/%{mypackage}/{plugins,features}?


(Thus letting me keep mypackage's jars separate from all the other packages.)
I'd rather not enumerate every jar in my packages in %files, if I can
avoid it ;-)



- If you want to test before 3.4 hits rawhide, do something like this:

yum --enablerepo=rawhide install icu4j-eclipse jsch jetty
jakarta-commons-{el,logging}
tomcat5-jasper-eclipse lucene{,-contrib} sat4j objectweb-asm

and then rpm -Uvh eclipse-3.4.0-*.rpm with the RPMs you downloaded from
koji.


I found that:
yum --enablerepo=rawhide localinstall eclipse-3.4*.rpm
in a directory containing the koji rpms installed everything I needed,
including dependencies, no trouble.


Sean.




--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
"Mat Booth"
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Andrew Myers <am2605@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was hoping to use 3.4 with the Web Tools Platform but I am not sure
> how to do it. Is it possible?
>

With 3.3 in Fedora 9 it is possible to use the Help->Software Updates
tool to install your favourite non-Fedora add-ons as normal. Hopefully
the situation is the same for 3.4.


--
Mat Booth
www.matbooth.co.uk

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 
Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 PM
"Andrew Myers"
 
Default Eclipse 3.4

I had a look in there but couldn't see any "sites" defined in there.
When I added in http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/updates/ I got a
message saying "The software items you selected may not be valid with
your current installation. Do you want to open the wizard anyway to
review the selections?".

I choose yes but it couldn't complete because of some unsatisfied
dependency errors.

Is there (or will there be) something similar to the "Eclipse IDE for
Java EE Developers" download from eclipse.org available, which
includes all this?

2008/8/3 Mat Booth <fedora@matbooth.co.uk>:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:38 AM, Andrew Myers <am2605@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was hoping to use 3.4 with the Web Tools Platform but I am not sure
>> how to do it. Is it possible?
>>
>
> With 3.3 in Fedora 9 it is possible to use the Help->Software Updates
> tool to install your favourite non-Fedora add-ons as normal. Hopefully
> the situation is the same for 3.4.
>
>
> --
> Mat Booth
> www.matbooth.co.uk
>

--
fedora-devel-java-list mailing list
fedora-devel-java-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-java-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org