Old 07-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Matej Cepl

Default blueMarine and openJDK -- second attempt

Hi,

I was trying once already to use blueMarine image cataloging
program with IcedTea (which was then still too raw;
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.java/2311). Now
when the OpenJDK was officially certified to be a Java, I tried
again, and I wasn't that much successfull either. Could anyboyd
who actually understands Java and Fedora, could join a thread on
http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/forum/posts/list/1179.page and
something useful there, please?

Thanks a lot,

Matěj

Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Andrew Haley

Matej Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying once already to use blueMarine image cataloging
> program with IcedTea (which was then still too raw;
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.java/2311). Now
> when the OpenJDK was officially certified to be a Java, I tried
> again, and I wasn't that much successfull either. Could anyboyd
> who actually understands Java and Fedora, could join a thread on
> http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/forum/posts/list/1179.page and
> something useful there, please?

Does it work with any implementation of Java 1.6?

Andrew.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-07-05, 09:08 GMT, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Does it work with any implementation of Java 1.6?

http://tinyurl.com/2u4fmc asks for Java 6 for Widnows and Linux
(on Mac it works with Java 5).

Matěj

Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Andrew Haley

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-07-05, 09:08 GMT, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Does it work with any implementation of Java 1.6?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2u4fmc asks for Java 6 for Widnows and Linux
> (on Mac it works with Java 5).

But you have't tried it with Java 6 on Linux, right?
We need to know if it's an upstream bug or not.

Andrew.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Mark Wielaard

Hi Matej,

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 01:14 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> I was trying once already to use blueMarine image cataloging
> program with IcedTea (which was then still too raw;
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.java/2311). Now
> when the OpenJDK was officially certified to be a Java, I tried
> again, and I wasn't that much successfull either. Could anyboyd
> who actually understands Java and Fedora, could join a thread on
> http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/forum/posts/list/1179.page and
> something useful there, please?

Could you provide us with some more information? Why is the application
depending on the Motif Toolkit? You disable that in your workaround to
get it working. IcedTea/OpenJDK does indeed not support that toolkit,
but it would be good to know why it was explicitly used in the first
place. And what are the "some errors during startup" that you are seeing
exactly?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-07-06, 10:56 GMT, Andrew Haley wrote:
> But you have't tried it with Java 6 on Linux, right?
> We need to know if it's an upstream bug or not.

Just working on it, but it seems that jpackage repos are somehow
screwed up, so I am installing the Sun's RPMs (with fear and
trembling -- hopefully my computer won't get screwed up much).

Will let you know about the results.

Matej

Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-07-06, 12:03 GMT, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Could you provide us with some more information? Why is the
> application depending on the Motif Toolkit?

I have no idea, I am not a programmer (and even less Java
programmer), just interested in getting quality photo management
software which is not dependent on Mono.

> You disable that in your workaround to get it working.

You or somebody else suggested it when I was trying to make
blueMarine work with the early IcedTea.

> And what are the "some errors during startup" that you are
> seeing exactly?

Silly me, I forgot to tell you that those two tar.bz2 tarballs in
http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/blueMarine/ have subdirectory
logs with a lot of backtraces in them. Does it help?

Matej

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Matej Cepl <mcepl@redhat.com> [2008-07-07 04:45]:
> Just working on it, but it seems that jpackage repos are somehow
> screwed up, so I am installing the Sun's RPMs (with fear and
> trembling -- hopefully my computer won't get screwed up much).

You don't need the RPMs. Just use the tarball.

Andrew

Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-07-07, 08:31 GMT, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-07-06, 10:56 GMT, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> But you have't tried it with Java 6 on Linux, right?
>> We need to know if it's an upstream bug or not.
>
> Will let you know about the results.

OK, so with jdk-1.6.0_06-fcs.x86_64 and
java-1.6.0-sun-compat-1.6.0.06-1jpp.x86_64 blueMarin works like.
Except, that I cannot check different values of AWT_TOOLKIT,
because blueMarine.sh switches to XToolkit for x86_64.

Logs etc. are again in
http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/blueMarine/Pictures-sun_java.tar.bz2

Any ideas, what's wrong with OpenJDK?

Matěj

Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 AM
Fabrizio Giudici

Hello, I'm the author of blueMarine and Matej pointed me to this thread.
My points:

1. I've found some bugs of blueMarine that don't trigger with Sun's JDK 6,
but do with OpenJDK (see http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/issues/browse/BM-670).
I'm working to fix them, as I'd like to make OpenJDK the reference Java
implementation for distributing blueMarine on Linux.

2. The Motif Toolkit thing is due to a workaround to another bug with Java
and Compiz: it looks like on many systems with Compiz installed, all the
Java applications come out as an empty frame. See for instance
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-504983.html - This is driving
me mad for a number of reasons: first, because I can't test it, as it seems
very sensible to local configurations; second, because it even triggers core
dumps with JDK 6 and 64 bits Linuxes; third, because it is supposed to be
fixed on the latest Sun JDKs, but I've been reported it all the same. Can
you tell me if this problem holds with OpenJDK? If not, it would be good news,
as I could remove it completely.

Thanks.