Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Benjamin Reed

Default packaging lessons from FUDCon hackfest?

Andrew Overholt wrote:

difference between ISV packaging and distribution packaging. If we get more
ISVs actually developing _on_ Fedora and more up-to-date dependencies, we may
be able to help bring everyone's dependencies forward.

I wasn't at FUDCon, so I don't know if any of this was discussed, but...

The biggest issue with that, I think, is that anyone using Maven is
already completely outside of the normal "ask the distro for a
dependency" way of doing things; doing maven-based development on fedora
will still always end up using maven for resolving dependencies.

Not to mention when you get into all of the OSGI stuff where foo uses
bar 1.x and baz uses incompatible-bar 2.9.x and it does classloading to
allow them to be available simultaneously.

At some level it seems like some kind of fundamental tools need to be
designed to tell maven to prefer system versions over specific
versioned-dependencies, run unit tests against them, etc., but that's a
huge amount of work.

--
Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Benjamin Reed <ranger@opennms.org> [2008-07-04 15:30]:
> The biggest issue with that, I think, is that anyone using Maven is
> already completely outside of the normal "ask the distro for a
> dependency" way of doing things; doing maven-based development on fedora
> will still always end up using maven for resolving dependencies.

Deepak Bhole has done some great work on the maven package in Fedora
which one can use to build _only_ from other stuff in the distro and
never touch the maven repos.

> Not to mention when you get into all of the OSGI stuff where foo uses
> bar 1.x and baz uses incompatible-bar 2.9.x and it does classloading to
> allow them to be available simultaneously.

It's the same root issue, though: either people move to new versions --
the one we ship -- or they maintain compat- packages. The former is
obviously preferred

Andrew

Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Bryan Kearney

Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> writes:
Here's a draft document:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraForISVs
You could also list download counting/tracking as a "loss". If an ISV
provides a tar-based distribution from their website, they can track
counts and/or emails. This may be important for their marketing department.

One other item, and perhaps this is covered some place else, but are
there accepted standards for aggregate packages (e.g. war, ear, rar)
files? For Java, this seems like more then just "Unity with Windows
release process"

-- bk

Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Andrew Overholt

* Bryan Kearney <bkearney@redhat.com> [2008-07-07 08:06]:
> One other item, and perhaps this is covered some place else, but are
> there accepted standards for aggregate packages (e.g. war, ear, rar)
> files? For Java, this seems like more then just "Unity with Windows
> release process"

Last I heard a few people were working on guidelines for web apps
including J2EE, etc. apps. Check through PackagingDrafts/ on the wiki.

Andrew

Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Thomas Fitzsimmons

Bryan Kearney <bkearney@redhat.com> writes:

> Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
>> Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> writes:
>> Here's a draft document:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraForISVs
> You could also list download counting/tracking as a "loss". If an ISV
> provides a tar-based distribution from their website, they can track
> counts and/or emails. This may be important for their marketing
> department.

Good point. Wiki updated.

> One other item, and perhaps this is covered some place else, but are
> there accepted standards for aggregate packages (e.g. war, ear, rar)
> files? For Java, this seems like more then just "Unity with Windows
> release process"

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/JavaWebApps

Tom