Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

Default packaging lessons from FUDCon hackfest?

Andrew Overholt and Tom Fitzsimmons sat with a guy from Alfresco (Lee
Faus) last Friday in the FUDCon hackfests. Mainly they were doing a
code review with him to see what he has to do to get Alfresco packaged
for Fedora. It was a great effort, and possibly enlightening for
everyone as to the scope of the problem ahead of us to get Java ISVs
packaged in Fedora.

Andrew, Tom -- where there any insights, lessons, ideas, or other
outfalls from that work with Lee?

Two specific areas of interest are:

* Tips, ideas, or plans for Java packaging ==> target
wiki/Packaging/Java
* ISV-specific lessons, tips, etc. ==> target wiki/SIGs/ISV

I'm asking on this list because I think a brain dump from both of you
here would give good exposure. I'm ready to glean content to make the
above wiki updates.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41

Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Andrew Overholt

Hi,

* Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade@redhat.com> [2008-06-25 10:54]:
> Andrew, Tom -- where there any insights, lessons, ideas, or other
> outfalls from that work with Lee?

Well, the process we went through was quite simple, actually: list the
software they were using (in this case it was find all the JARs), determine
where it came from, and see if it was already packaged. Moving applications
onto newer version of libraries so that we're only ever shipping one will
always be a challenge for ISVs since they're often using some version that
they imported into their tree at some point in the past. This is one obvious
difference between ISV packaging and distribution packaging. If we get more
ISVs actually developing _on_ Fedora and more up-to-date dependencies, we may
be able to help bring everyone's dependencies forward.

> * ISV-specific lessons, tips, etc. ==> target wiki/SIGs/ISV

I really wish we had video-taped Tom and Lee talking. At the beginning of
the conversation Lee was unaware of the benefits of being a part of the
distribution and was wary of relying on dependencies outside of their direct
control; by the end of the conversation, he was fully in agreement of the
benefits of being a part of the distribution Tom: perhaps you could
write up some of the common arguments by ISVs and the Free Software /
distribution POV for each of them?

Andrew

Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Thomas Fitzsimmons

Andrew Overholt <overholt@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> * Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade@redhat.com> [2008-06-25 10:54]:
>> Andrew, Tom -- where there any insights, lessons, ideas, or other
>> outfalls from that work with Lee?
>
> Well, the process we went through was quite simple, actually: list the
> software they were using (in this case it was find all the JARs), determine
> where it came from, and see if it was already packaged. Moving applications
> onto newer version of libraries so that we're only ever shipping one will
> always be a challenge for ISVs since they're often using some version that
> they imported into their tree at some point in the past. This is one obvious
> difference between ISV packaging and distribution packaging. If we get more
> ISVs actually developing _on_ Fedora and more up-to-date dependencies, we may
> be able to help bring everyone's dependencies forward.
>
>> * ISV-specific lessons, tips, etc. ==> target wiki/SIGs/ISV
>
> I really wish we had video-taped Tom and Lee talking. At the beginning of
> the conversation Lee was unaware of the benefits of being a part of the
> distribution and was wary of relying on dependencies outside of their direct
> control; by the end of the conversation, he was fully in agreement of the
> benefits of being a part of the distribution Tom: perhaps you could
> write up some of the common arguments by ISVs and the Free Software /
> distribution POV for each of them?

Here's a draft document:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraForISVs

I linked to it from the ISV SIG page: