Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Benjamin Reed

Default compatible provides?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Andrew Overholt

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:05 -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
> package?
> [...]
> Unfortunately, there are no provides that are the same across OpenJDK
> and Sun's Java:

You mean the Sun-distributed RPM, right? I've heard many complaints
over the years about issues with it but it doesn't seem that it's going
to change any time soon. If I had to guess, I'd say the OpenJDK
packages provide the same things as the JPackage Sun, etc. nosrc RPMs.

Tom can clarify since he maintains the OpenJDK packages.

Andrew

Old 06-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Benjamin Reed

Andrew Overholt wrote:

Hi,

Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
package?
[...]
Unfortunately, there are no provides that are the same across OpenJDK
and Sun's Java:

You mean the Sun-distributed RPM, right? I've heard many complaints
over the years about issues with it but it doesn't seem that it's going
to change any time soon. If I had to guess, I'd say the OpenJDK
packages provide the same things as the JPackage Sun, etc. nosrc RPMs.

Tom can clarify since he maintains the OpenJDK packages.

Right, but since you do have control over the OpenJDK rpms, adding a
"Provides: jdk = 1.6.0" would help.

Right now I had to make a dummy "jdk" package that requires "openjdk >=
1.5" so that our existing RPMs install without issue...

--
Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group

Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Andrew Haley

Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
> package? Since OpenNMS uses Tomcat and/or Jetty, and does not
> precompile it's JSP files, we require a JDK at runtime.

Does OpenNMS really not work at all with gcj?

Andrew.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Benjamin Reed

Andrew Haley wrote:

Benjamin Reed wrote:

Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
package? Since OpenNMS uses Tomcat and/or Jetty, and does not
precompile it's JSP files, we require a JDK at runtime.

Does OpenNMS really not work at all with gcj?

Correct.

I haven't tried for a while, but last I did, it blew up. OpenNMS is a
rather large app, and exercises garbage collection in interesting and
destructive ways.

It's been a while since we've tried, I can give it another shot and open
bugs...

--
Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group

Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Andrew Overholt

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 10:02 -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:05 -0400, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> >> Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
> >> package?
> >> [...]
> >> Unfortunately, there are no provides that are the same across OpenJDK
> >> and Sun's Java:
> >
> > You mean the Sun-distributed RPM, right? I've heard many complaints
> > over the years about issues with it but it doesn't seem that it's going
> > to change any time soon. If I had to guess, I'd say the OpenJDK
> > packages provide the same things as the JPackage Sun, etc. nosrc RPMs.
> >
> > Tom can clarify since he maintains the OpenJDK packages.
>
> Right, but since you do have control over the OpenJDK rpms, adding a
> "Provides: jdk = 1.6.0" would help.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply this wasn't possible. I'd still like to
hear from Tom about this, though.

Andrew

Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Andrew Haley

Benjamin Reed wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>> Benjamin Reed wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
>>> package? Since OpenNMS uses Tomcat and/or Jetty, and does not
>>> precompile it's JSP files, we require a JDK at runtime.
>>
>> Does OpenNMS really not work at all with gcj?
>
> Correct.
>
> I haven't tried for a while, but last I did, it blew up. OpenNMS is a
> rather large app, and exercises garbage collection in interesting and
> destructive ways.
>
> It's been a while since we've tried, I can give it another shot and open
> bugs...

That's not absolutely necessary, as long as you've tried with a reasonably
recent gcj. The phrase "since OpenNMS uses Tomcat and/or Jetty" was a red
flag, since we've used gcj with both of these.

Andrew.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Thomas Fitzsimmons

Benjamin Reed <ranger@opennms.org> writes:

> Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
> package? Since OpenNMS uses Tomcat and/or Jetty, and does not
> precompile it's JSP files, we require a JDK at runtime.
>
> Unfortunately, there are no provides that are the same across OpenJDK
> and Sun's Java:
>
> Sun JDK:
> [ranger@nen ~]$ rpm -q --provides jdk
> jre = 1.5.0_15
> j2sdk = 1.5.0_15
> j2re = 1.5.0_15
> jaxp_parser_impl
> xml-commons-apis
> jdk = 2000:1.5.0_15-fcs
> jaxp_parser_impl
> xml-commons-apis
> jdk = 2000:1.6.0_05-fcs
>
> OpenJDK:
> [ranger@localhost opennms-1.6]$ rpm -q --provides
> ~ java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel
> java-1.6.0-devel = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-1.7.0-icedtea-devel = 0:1.7.0.0-0.999
> java-devel = 1:1.6.0
> java-devel-openjdk = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-sdk = 1:1.6.0
> java-sdk-1.6.0 = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-sdk-1.6.0-openjdk = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-sdk-openjdk = 1:1.6.0.0
> lib.so
> libunpack.so
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel = 1:1.6.0.0-0.13.b09.fc9

We've had problems attempting to be compatible with Sun's RPMs in the
past. Matt dealt with the xml-commons-apis issue. I would rather not
risk providing anything provided by Sun's RPM.

The best way to make OpenNMS available for Fedora is to maintain
packages directly in the Fedora repositories. Alternatively, you
could recommend to users who absolutely must use Sun's proprietary JDK
that they install JPackage-formatted RPMs instead of Sun's RPM.

Tom

Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Benjamin Reed

Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:

The best way to make OpenNMS available for Fedora is to maintain
packages directly in the Fedora repositories. Alternatively, you
could recommend to users who absolutely must use Sun's proprietary JDK
that they install JPackage-formatted RPMs instead of Sun's RPM.

Yeah, I can do that, just was trying to avoid having to maintain
multiple spec files.

--
Benjamin Reed
The OpenNMS Group