Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Greg Dekoenigsberg

Default ISV guide to the Summit

To all of our partner friends:

We've received a lot of inquiries from our partners about packaging their
software in RPM format for use with Fedora. With good reasons:

* Millions of Fedora users can install any RPM in the Fedora universe with one
simple command.

* RPM is the cornerstone of Linux systems management applications, allowing
sysadmins to manage a complete list of all software on their systems, through
many different tools.

* RPM is also the basis of much of the appliance work that Red Hat is
advancing. Putting your software into RPM format makes it much simpler to
build Live CDs, network install images, or even virtual appliances around your
software solution.

Any open source software provider can package their work as an RPM for Fedora.
Getting software into Fedora is not as easy as it could be, but it's not that
difficult, either -- and we are committed to working with our partners to make
it as painless as possible.

At the Red Hat Summit / Fedora User and Developer conference, developers have
unprecedented access to the knowledge of the Red Hat and Fedora communities.
For those who are interested specifically in learning how to make the best use
of RPM and Fedora, we would like to recommend the following sessions:

* Topic: Fedora images and live CDs.
Presenter: Jeremy Katz
Time: Wednesday 6/18, 11:30am - 12:30pm
Location: Red Hat Summit Session Hall

* Topic: How to make good RPM packages
Presenter: Tom Callaway
Time: Wednesday 6/18, 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Location: Red Hat Summit Session Hall

* Topic: Building Appliances with the Red Hat Appliance OS
Presenter: Bryan Kearney
Time: Wednesday 6/18, 2:45pm - 3:45pm
Location: Red Hat Summit Session Hall

* Topic: Fedora packages for RHEL
Presenter: Karsten Wade
Time: Thursday 6/19, 2:45pm - 3:45pm
Location: Red Hat Summit Session Hall

* Topic: ISV Packaging Hackfest
Presenter: Various
Time: Thursday 6/19, 10am - 4pm
Location: Fedora Hackfest Area

* Topic: Java Packaging Hackfest
Presenter: Various
Time: Friday 6/20, 10am - 4pm
Location: Fedora Hackfest Area

Also, on Saturday 6/21, we will be holding the Fedora Users and Developers
Conference at Boston University, just minutes from the Hynes Convention Center.
FUDCons are the lifeblood of the Fedora community; every FUDCon draws the best
and the brightest of the Fedora community from all over the world. We urge
Summit participants who are interested in learning more about Fedora to attend
this exceptional conference. Learn more about FUDCon at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConF10

If you have any questions, please contact Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk@redhat.com>,
Paul Frields <pfrields@redhat.com> or Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> for
more information.

We look forward to seeing you at the Summit, and at FUDCon.

--g