Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Richard Körber

Default Groovy in Rawhide?

Hello!

I have just joined this list too. I am both a big friend of Java and
Fedora, and I am happy that I can enjoy both now, thanks to OpenJDK. :-)

Now that OpenJDK is installed by default in Fedora 9, I think it would
be nice to have Groovy[1] available as well. It would be a nice Java
counterpart to Python, Ruby and Perl.

Are there any plans to add Groovy to Rawhide? There is a Fedora RPM
package available on the Groovy homepage already, which on a first sight
seems to integrate nicely with Fedora 9. I'd prefer a simple yum install
groovy though.

[1] http://groovy.codehaus.org/

--
Richard

Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Konrad Meyer

Quoth Richard Körber:
> Hello!
>
> I have just joined this list too. I am both a big friend of Java and
> Fedora, and I am happy that I can enjoy both now, thanks to OpenJDK. :-)
>
> Now that OpenJDK is installed by default in Fedora 9, I think it would
> be nice to have Groovy[1] available as well. It would be a nice Java
> counterpart to Python, Ruby and Perl.
>
> Are there any plans to add Groovy to Rawhide? There is a Fedora RPM
> package available on the Groovy homepage already, which on a first sight
> seems to integrate nicely with Fedora 9. I'd prefer a simple yum install
> groovy though.
>
> [1] http://groovy.codehaus.org/

I'd beware upstream RPMs as java projects tend to ship their dependencies
inside them as compiled binaries.

--
Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Andrew Overholt

Hi Richard,

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 08:55 +0200, Richard Körber wrote:
> I have just joined this list too. I am both a big friend of Java and
> Fedora, and I am happy that I can enjoy both now, thanks to OpenJDK. :-)

Great to have you around!

> Are there any plans to add Groovy to Rawhide?

Colin may have plans to do this. Do you, Colin?

> There is a Fedora RPM package available on the Groovy homepage already,
> which on a first sight seems to integrate nicely with Fedora 9.

Cool. As Konrad says, it may contain pre-built binaries which aren't
allowed in Fedora. However, it's probably a really good starting place.
It would be great if you were interested in getting this into Fedora.
Packaging it up probably won't be too hard. Let us know if we cna help
in any way.

Andrew

Old 06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Colin Walters

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:52 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 08:55 +0200, Richard Körber wrote:
> > I have just joined this list too. I am both a big friend of Java and
> > Fedora, and I am happy that I can enjoy both now, thanks to OpenJDK. :-)
>
> Great to have you around!
>
> > Are there any plans to add Groovy to Rawhide?
>
> Colin may have plans to do this. Do you, Colin?

I started on this but basically got blocked on dependencies and didn't
have time to pick it up again.

I just put up my in-progress SRPM here:
http://cdn.verbum.org/groovy-1.5.6-1.fc10.src.rpm