-   -   A new user management tool (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-desktop/93486-new-user-management-tool.html)

Matthias Clasen 05-22-2008 05:59 PM

A new user management tool

We (Jon McCann and myself, with some input from others) have been
working on a design for a new user management tool, with the goal of
coming up with something better than the current trias of
system-config-users, gnome-about-me and gdmsetup.

The design is not finalized, you can see the current state of affairs
here: http://people.redhat.com/mclasen/user-account3.pdf.bz2
(I really wanted to put this on the wiki, but all I could only get proxy
errors when trying to do so).

Comments are welcome. Please note the section on target audience and use
cases.

Matthias

Steven Garrity 05-22-2008 06:32 PM

A new user management tool

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Comments are welcome. Please note the section on target audience and use
cases.

Perhaps a note with the Short Name field on the "Create a new user"
dialog explaining the basic limitations (no spaces, special chars, etc.)

Maybe even auto-generate the Short Name if the field is empty when Name
is entered? Turn "Ed Jones" into "edjones", etc.?

Cheers,
Steven Garrity

Will Woods 05-22-2008 07:39 PM

A new user management tool

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:32 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Comments are welcome. Please note the section on target audience and use
> > cases.

> Maybe even auto-generate the Short Name if the field is empty when Name
> is entered? Turn "Ed Jones" into "edjones", etc.?

It's already in the design document, at the bottom of page 3:

"The tool then generates a Unix username from the full name and prefills
the Short Name field. There was some idea to define a set of rules for
this (e.g. Matthias Clasen→mclasen or Jon McCann→jonm) and update the
currently used rule based on the corrections that are made to the
pregenerated username."

-w

seth vidal 05-22-2008 08:09 PM

A new user management tool

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:39 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:32 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> > Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > Comments are welcome. Please note the section on target audience and use
> > > cases.
>
> > Maybe even auto-generate the Short Name if the field is empty when Name
> > is entered? Turn "Ed Jones" into "edjones", etc.?
>
> It's already in the design document, at the bottom of page 3:
>
> "The tool then generates a Unix username from the full name and prefills
> the Short Name field. There was some idea to define a set of rules for
> this (e.g. Matthias Clasen→mclasen or Jon McCann→jonm) and update the
> currently used rule based on the corrections that are made to the
> pregenerated username."

Umm, is the above really a problem we need to solve? Is there a great
problem with people being able to create usernames?

-sv

Matthias Clasen 05-22-2008 08:20 PM

A new user management tool

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 16:09 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:39 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe even auto-generate the Short Name if the field is empty when Name
> > > is entered? Turn "Ed Jones" into "edjones", etc.?
> >
> > It's already in the design document, at the bottom of page 3:
> >
> > "The tool then generates a Unix username from the full name and prefills
> > the Short Name field. There was some idea to define a set of rules for
> > this (e.g. Matthias Clasen→mclasen or Jon McCann→jonm) and update the
> > currently used rule based on the corrections that are made to the
> > pregenerated username."
> >

> Umm, is the above really a problem we need to solve? Is there a great
> problem with people being able to create usernames?

There is no problem being solved here, just a tiny bit of smart
convenience added. You can still specify a username yourself if you
like.