Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Carsten Breuer

Default No Network with Network-Manager Daemon

Hi all,

i have updated FC8 at may, 14.
After that my network was broken.
eth0 was up but there was no proper setup
of the route.
After /etc/init.d/network restart
everything was fine (since the next reboot).

It seems to me that NetworkManager Daemon
make worse things?

Is this a new daemon?

Best Regards,

Carsten Breuer

Old 05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Dan Williams

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 00:54 +0200, Carsten Breuer wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> i have updated FC8 at may, 14.
> After that my network was broken.
> eth0 was up but there was no proper setup
> of the route.
> After /etc/init.d/network restart
> everything was fine (since the next reboot).
>
> It seems to me that NetworkManager Daemon
> make worse things?
>
> Is this a new daemon?

Nope; it's been around since FC3 at least. Had you turned
NetworkManager on before May 14th? It wasn't turned on in F8 by
default, so if it's running now then either (a) you turned it on, or (b)
I messed up the packaging and it's getting turned on in the %post or
something.

Is your eth0 supposed to be your default route to the internet, and do
you have a list of custom routes defined for the eth0 device when it's
brought up?

Dan

Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Carsten Breuer

Hi Dan,
hi all,

>> It seems to me that NetworkManager Daemon
>> make worse things?
>> Is this a new daemon?
> Nope; it's been around since FC3 at least. Had you turned
> NetworkManager on before May 14th? It wasn't turned on in F8 by
> default, so if it's running now then either (a) you turned it on, or (b)
> I messed up the packaging and it's getting turned on in the %post or
> something.

I can't say for sure that it was not running before,
but if i read the mail from logwatch right, it was installed with
that update:

Packages Installed:
kdegraphics-libs - 7:3.5.9-2.fc8.i386
PersonalCopy-Lite-patches - 4.1-3.fc8.noarch
imlib - 1:1.9.15-6.fc8.i386
NetworkManager - 1:0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370.fc8.i386
system-config-network-tui - 1.5.5-1.fc8.noarch
kdebase-libs - 6:3.5.9-7.fc8.i386
NetworkManager-glib - 1:0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370.fc8.i386
kernel-devel - 2.6.24.5-85.fc8.i686
libpaper - 1.1.22-1.fc8.1.i386
python-mpd - 0.2.0-3.fc8.noarch
kernel - 2.6.24.5-85.fc8.i686
poppler-qt - 0.6.2-1.fc8.i386

Packages Updated:
kdebase - 6:3.5.9-7.fc8.i386
perl - 4:5.8.8-39.fc8.i386
shared-mime-info - 0.23-2.fc8.i386
rsync - 2.6.9-5.fc8.i386
openoffice.org-langpack-en - 1:2.3.0-6.14.fc8.i386
libgnomeprint22-devel - 2.18.4-1.fc8.i386
systemtap-runtime - 0.6.2-1.fc8.i386
openoffice.org-core - 1:2.3.0-6.14.fc8.i386

I make the update from the console (yum update), so i think
that there are dependencies with NetworkManager.

> Is your eth0 supposed to be your default route to the internet,

Yes. i only setup the default gateway address of the router.
I have seen that eth0 is more often switched on and off
during boot if NetworkManager is active and i first thought
that Fedora is trying to configure the route during the off
period.

> and do
> you have a list of custom routes defined for the eth0 device when it's
> brought up?

No. I only do the default fedora network setup (ip, netmask, DNS,
Gateway). I never changed anything in the routing.

Thanks for replying and Best Regards,

Carsten