FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 AM
David Zeuthen
 
Default gio / gvfs changes

Hey,

For GNOME, as you may know, we're shipping gvfs as a new component in
this release. One key feature is the fuse mount that is provided by
gvfs-fuse. Meaning that any gvfs file system is available to POSIX apps
from $HOME/.gvfs. Now, we haven't fully exploited this feature until the
patch introduced here

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=442835
(you may need to pull the rpm's from koji for a while; I've
asked Fedora rel-eng to tag them for Fedora 9 but that was
just an hour or two ago)

This patch enables any non-gio application (including non-GNOME apps) to
Just Work(tm) when launching files from the file manager from non-kernel
mounts such as sftp, cdda, gphoto2, obex-ftp, archive etc.

(It's actually very cool; browsing my digital camera and ISO files Just
Work(tm); I can open text files in gedit, view images using eog (or The
Gimp or ImageMagick's display), watch videos using an mplayer frontend
and so forth. It really goes to show how cool gvfs really is.)

There is one catch, applications using gio must set this key

X-GNOME-Vfs-System=gio

in their desktop file. Note that the key name is subject to change
pending upstream and xdg-list discussions. Either way, if this change
goes upstream (which I think it will), gio-enabled applications will set
this themselves. I've already did this for nautilus and gvfs and am now
asking for assistance for remaining gio apps. Since gio/gvfs is brand
new, I don't expect a lot of apps. AFAIK only

totem
openoffice.org (or maybe the gio port isn't complete?)

are using gio natively and can open files from the file manager (e.g.
has MimeTypes in it's desktop file). Can anyone think of other gio apps?

David


--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 04-19-2008, 12:58 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"
 
Default gio / gvfs changes

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM, David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com> wrote:
> For GNOME, as you may know, we're shipping gvfs as a new component in
> this release. One key feature is the fuse mount that is provided by
> gvfs-fuse. Meaning that any gvfs file system is available to POSIX apps
> from $HOME/.gvfs. Now, we haven't fully exploited this feature until the
> patch introduced here

As an aside a ran into a problem on a fresh rawhide install yesterday
with not being able to remove the .gvfs directory even when the user
wasn't logged in..while doing user system maintenance as an admin...
this sort of thing really crimps your ability to remove user accounts
and associated home directories. I can't seem to reproduce it
reliably, it's happening somewhat sporadically, and whenever it
happens a reboot 'fixes' it...but I'm still trying to figure out why
its happening at all.

-jef"tis' a mystery"spaleta

-jef

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default gio / gvfs changes

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 16:58 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM, David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com> wrote:
> > For GNOME, as you may know, we're shipping gvfs as a new component in
> > this release. One key feature is the fuse mount that is provided by
> > gvfs-fuse. Meaning that any gvfs file system is available to POSIX apps
> > from $HOME/.gvfs. Now, we haven't fully exploited this feature until the
> > patch introduced here
>
> As an aside a ran into a problem on a fresh rawhide install yesterday
> with not being able to remove the .gvfs directory even when the user
> wasn't logged in..while doing user system maintenance as an admin...
> this sort of thing really crimps your ability to remove user accounts
> and associated home directories. I can't seem to reproduce it
> reliably, it's happening somewhat sporadically, and whenever it
> happens a reboot 'fixes' it...but I'm still trying to figure out why
> its happening at all.

What does

ps ax | grep gvfs-fuse-daemon

say when it happens ?

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Jesse Keating
 
Default gio / gvfs changes

On Apr 18, 2008, at 20:58, "Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM, David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com>
wrote:
For GNOME, as you may know, we're shipping gvfs as a new componen
t in

this release. One key feature is the fuse mount that is provided by
gvfs-fuse. Meaning that any gvfs file system is available to POSIX
apps
from $HOME/.gvfs. Now, we haven't fully exploited this feature
until the

patch introduced here


As an aside a ran into a problem on a fresh rawhide install yesterday
with not being able to remove the .gvfs directory even when the user
wasn't logged in..while doing user system maintenance as an admin...
this sort of thing really crimps your ability to remove user accounts
and associated home directories. I can't seem to reproduce it
reliably, it's happening somewhat sporadically, and whenever it
happens a reboot 'fixes' it...but I'm still trying to figure out why
its happening at all.



I see this when the daemon has died and you have to force umount
the .gcfs dir.


Jes

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default gio / gvfs changes

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 22:25 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> >
>
> I see this when the daemon has died and you have to force umount
> the .gcfs dir.

I've just built a gvfs with some thread-safety fixes for
gvfs-fuse-daemon that should make it less crash-prone under load.

--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 
Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 AM
David Zeuthen
 
Default gio / gvfs changes

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 22:36 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 22:25 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > >
> >
> > I see this when the daemon has died and you have to force umount
> > the .gcfs dir.
>
> I've just built a gvfs with some thread-safety fixes for
> gvfs-fuse-daemon that should make it less crash-prone under load.

In addition I'm currently looking into adding some babysitting /
parachuting / supervision the fuse daemon to clean up the mount on segv
paths too. It's kinda annoying the kernel-side of FUSE doesn't do (or
allow for doing) this automatically.

David


--
Fedora-desktop-list mailing list
Fedora-desktop-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org